A wee guide to RP for the uninitiated (or simply unsure).

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
Kiel Barat
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Kiel Barat

Re: A wee guide to RP for the uninitiated (or simply unsure)

Post by Kiel Barat »

Oh, that sounds really interesting actually. It would be great to find a Sith guild to do that with. Maybe you actually sneak in some traditional "turn to the light side" propaganda before commencing with the head bashing.
Yogash
Ex-member

Post by Yogash »

In WoW as an elf rogue i rped that my father had been magically changed into a tauren to enable him to go undercover in Thunderbluff. This meant that taurens were always sapped and the question asked....'Dad?' before the rest of the attacks - no one ever said yes...
'I'm like a leaf on the wind...watch how i soar'
(how to fly Serenity)
“A Trooper doesn’t get tired…he just reloads”
'We're coming....and we're bringing GUNS'
'two words - massive cannon. I got it - you don't'
Kiel Barat
Ex-member

Post by Kiel Barat »

Darn, I'm sorry you never found him. While I'm at it, might as well ask this: I know that there are separate RP servers, but I've never actually been on one. How do they actually function in terms of PvP and PvE? Can you attack anyone at the whim, or is it usually more restricted? Also, how's the atmosphere usually on those? Do most of the people actually RP even when, say, selling stuff on the chat channels?
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Kiel Barat wrote:Darn, I'm sorry you never found him. While I'm at it, might as well ask this: I know that there are separate RP servers, but I've never actually been on one. How do they actually function in terms of PvP and PvE? Can you attack anyone at the whim, or is it usually more restricted? Also, how's the atmosphere usually on those? Do most of the people actually RP even when, say, selling stuff on the chat channels?

I've never played an MMO with fully dedicated RP or PvP servers. SWTOR will be my first experience of that. I think for SWTOR, PvP servers will have whole planets and lots of area's on other plants that are red=dead, IE if you land there or cross a certain point in the map, you are flagged for PvP.

It's not been fully explained by Bioware yet. I imagine RP servers won't have as many pure PvP zones, especially not around city and town hubs or missions locations, but still of course have full battlefield options and I'm sure, the freedom to use a game command to flag yourself for PvP.

In Starwars galaxies, there was a planet called Rori, and within that planet a location called Restuss. If you crossed a line outside the spaceport there, you were changed to "special forces" and instantly attackable. However, anywhere else on any planet at any time you could use the command /pvp and after a 30 second wait, you'd be SF.

Everyone could see you flagging though, as your name would flash.
Kiel Barat
Ex-member

Post by Kiel Barat »

Cool, thanks for clearing that out. I actually have some really bad experiences from PvP servers, as you usually just end up getting harassed or gangbanged by the opposite faction. I think the option to flag yourself for PvP is a lot more friendly.
Machior
Lieutenant
SWTOR Characters: Serra Lightblade

Post by Machior »

To elaborate a bit further on Doon's point about the PvP and RP tags on servers.

Mostly a RP server is a regular PvE server ruleset, but with increased "enforcing" on names. Enforcing is between quotes because it mostly boils down to players having to report players for GMs to undertake action against "immersion breaking names".
PvE/RP server rulesets mostly consist of:
- Almost every area you are NOT automatically flagged for PvP. You can however turn this flag on, meaning that people of the opposite side can freely attack you.
- Some areas are fixed PvP areas, this means you will get automatically flagged for PvP, but none of these areas are required for questing. This usually also includes cities controlled by the opposing side.

PvP rulesets consist of:
- In every area (except starter areas) you will be automatically flagged for PvP. You can't control it, and everyone can attack you at any time due to this. It gives rise to a higher degree of challenge/danger, but it also induces ganking/corpse camping behaviour from the opposite side.
Magnox
Registered

Post by Magnox »

JenDoon wrote:I'd suggest, for channels, guildchat be OOC, anything spatial (IE around your character) is always IC and if you need to say something OOC to one person, send them a tell in ((bracketts)). If you need to say something OOC to a group around you ((bracketts)).

We could also do with having a custom channel, just for our guild and friends that we roleplay inside, both for events and just as a shared long range comm. This allows us to roleplay on different planets etc.

I know that we are planning as a guild to minimise OOC chat by forwarding it to whisper. So say a guildy has a problem with a quest or such, he can ask in g chat "OOC Guys need help with "Quests Name" anyone help please /w me.

This then starts the /w chat whcih will be OOC and free up guiild chat for IC chat where possible.

Its easier to say than do I know, but hopefully people will feel this is easier, Plus our Temspeak will be all OOC so easier, allowing people to Join TS will allow us to get the know the person behind the game, and any OOC comments hopefully will be in Teamspeak form.

Hi btw , I'm slicing the thread just though I'd put my 2 credits in :D
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Hey Magnox,

we've not formally decided if our guildchat will be IC or OOC, mostly because we're not sure what chat channel options, especially with the creation of private custom channels, BIoware will offer us.

Ideally, as a roleplaying guild our guildchat will be in character (long range comms), with an OOC channel added by us and whatever voice program we decide to settle on. I don't like using vent for anything other than PvP and high end raids, as I find it ruins roleplay but it's really a guild decision.
BadJawa
Ex-member

Post by BadJawa »

Wotcha everyone,

Whilst it's great having TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, or Mumble as a resource, it's not necessarily a resource that I can see everyone able to use to it's full ability.

Even when raiding, I often see a large chunk of the group unable to speak for whatever reason. For some it's a lack of microphone/headset. For others it's the fact that they are sharing the room with other people (families are like that), and for some it might well be that they're shy, and/or hate the sound of their own voice.

Whatever the reason, they can listen, but they can't/don't talk.

They do communicate, though; they use the /ra channel.

I also share a room; as a result, I tend to only use voice communication when it's really, really necessary. So when grouped for an instance, or a raid. It's only polite; I don't want my lovely lady thinking I'm telling her to kill that fragging monsty now, and blow all her cooldowns on it. Or something.

In my experience, guild channels have always worked best as an -ish channel. In character-ish, *and* out of character-ish.

If someone comments in character, respond in character. If someone comments out of character, respond out of character. It's usually pretty easy to work out, without need for "OOC:" or "IC:".

I've seen some great gaming in guild channels, but I've also been able to find out about fellow guild members without having to spend all of my time in the box room with a headset on.

Having said that, spatial chat is *always* in character. Nothing annoys me more than the ((double brackets makes everything ok)), and people putting smilies in /say really makes me want to hunt them down, wee in their flask of weak lemon drink and slash their anorak.

It's lazy, it's shoddy, and it breaks immersion. I shall now stop ranting. It's a pet peeve, but a strong one.

Party chat usually works best for Out of Character communication. As most of the time a party will be in the same location, it means getting to know fellow players in Party, and getting to role-play in Spatial.

Much as I hate to agree with JenDoon (for fear of him shooting me again, Hicks style) I think a shared Alliance channel makes sense. Keeping it In Character also makes sense; this is a role-playing alliance after all. Sorting groups out can be done with whispers/tells.

And I'd hope there'd be lots of inter-guild grouping, for which Party chat means we can get to know each other as players, rather than characters.

Cheers,
Hawley.
Subtlety is for other people.
Magnox
Registered

Post by Magnox »

Yeah make sense, its probably because I like the sound of my own voice and if i didnt have VoIP I would never play the game, I would just be typing constantly :D

I agree that role play is hindered slightly with Teamspeak fir instance, but as our guild we are a core group of friends that live 500 miles away from each other so just speaking to them via text and IC would not be enough for me.

As for an alliance channel mentioned above sounds like a very good idea tbh, I presuming that Bioware will have set the channel system out something similar to World of Warcraft, meaning we can create channels, Password them and allow all allies to come together into one comms which sounds like a fantastic idea.

I can see both sides of things, Role play great but I dont want to be just known as the "Magnox Smuggler" I want people to see John, The modest, sweet and generally humble guy ... LOL!