Stop ACTA!

Forum for general discussions that aren't relevant to any of our other forums.
Nekxyu
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Seph & Qorr

Stop ACTA!

Post by Nekxyu »

I believe we can all agree that ACTA is a bad thing. I'll leave the arguments for another place, but if you agree with me, you can go here and do something about it.

The link is a website that me and some associates put together to enable people to directly contact their representatives in the EU Parliament. Response has been positive so far, with several politicians against ACTA writing us and telling us the amount of attention it has brought to the issue, now that they are suddenly receiving hundreds or thousands of mails about the subject from concerned people.

Just thought I'd leave it here; if you like it, please spread it around as much as you can. It's important.

Liek, fo sho.

Cheers guys,

Nekxyu
A forum post should be like a skirt;
long enough to cover the subject material,
but short enough to keep things interesting.

RIP Seph
Cheesey
Ex-member

Re: Stop ACTA!

Post by Cheesey »

As an artist who uses the digital form a lot I cannot whole heartedly disagree with the reasoning and aim of the act. I find more and more in this age that people believe just because it is on the internet it is free .

Intellectual property and Copyright are still legal and binding but so many disregard this totally. I advertise or put an image up for sale on the web and suddenly some people think its free. If I can see it and take it , its mine, seems the rule here :(

In what way do you think that protecting copyright holders rights is wrong? Perhaps I have missed something :)
Left guild because I joined light Rp guild and not what I class as as heavy RP guild . Cant be doing with OP and flashpoints IC sorry.
Plus I was sure it was called The Kestrel Minority and not JenDoons Ego.
Yogash
Ex-member

Post by Yogash »

While that is the aim of the act it is the baggage it comes with, the method of it's introduction and the other uses it will be put to that is cause for concern.
'I'm like a leaf on the wind...watch how i soar'
(how to fly Serenity)
“A Trooper doesn’t get tired…he just reloads”
'We're coming....and we're bringing GUNS'
'two words - massive cannon. I got it - you don't'
Dabrin
Old-timer

Post by Dabrin »

Cheesey wrote:
In what way do you think that protecting copyright holders rights is wrong? Perhaps I have missed something :)
I'm fully with you here. Artists should keep the right to the material they work to put together.

However - i would like the internet to still "stay free".

Personally, my problem stems from this part, which i copy/pasted from a site that would for sure be gone in the future, if ACTA comes into force.
Supporters of ACTA are saying that each country, which ratifies ACTA, will choose their own interpretation. This is the biggest lie ever told.

Just like any other international agreement ACTA must be interpreted according to the Vienna Convention of 1969.

Article 32 of the Vienna Convention says that if any part of a treaty is ambiguous it must be interpreted based on documents produced during the drafting and negotiations phase of the agreement. For Acta these documents are classified and have never been made available to the public through official sources. Such secrecy has never surrounded any other global treaty in modern times.

In essence the true meaning of ACTA is being kept secret even from the governments who sign it.