Policy on alts?

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
Slide
Quartermaster
SWTOR Characters: Slide, Myreen
SteamID: Slidemoon
PSN Username: slidemoon
Xbox Live Gamertag: Slide Moon

Re: Policy on alts?

Post by Slide »

BadJawa wrote:I'm pretty sure we can find an Imperial guild that would happily allow an exchange; we take their Republic alts, in exchange for them taking our Imperial alts. That way, we both work to improve game for each other, rather than lessening our game. That way both groups get to play their naughty alts in a good community, rather than a good community lessened.
This in itself sounds fine, but please consider this:

Let's say we get an application in the likes of "Hi. My main character is a member of an imperial guild and I'm looking for a cool republic guild for my alt."

Would we happily offer applicants like this one a trial membership, even if the rest of their application looks good? Are we fine with this or are we looking for a higher level of commitment?

"Nice pants. Where you got them, Tightooine?"

Myreen - Guardian - damage dealer
Slide - Scoundrel - damage dealer
Jacynn - Vanguard - Tank
Zyall - Juggernaut - damage dealer
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

I don't think we have a right to dictate whether or not we allow people to join our guild with an alt. If they want to apply, and give a good app and are reasonably active, well whats it the issue?

Unless the guild system has some really short membership cap, it's not great loss to us to have a member who only logs in every other day.

Plus, we don't have a policy on players joining us with an alt.
Jens Jutoon
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Jens Jutoon (JJ)

Post by Jens Jutoon »

I really don't see anything wrong with just having a little part of this guild set up so we can play an Imp alt together. Why go and join a different community and guild, when we have a great one here already? KTM would be the main focus of this guild, all there would be is a small subsection in game and on this forum, for us to play some imp alts from time to time. That's how I see it anyway. Just now an then a few of us might get together and decide to play Imps, just for one night. I didn't envisage it to be a whole new guild dedicated to the other side, just a part put aside for when the mood takes us.

That's just how I imagined it to be.

Jens Jutoon - Gunslinger
Jen'ju - Jedi Knight
Amtath
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Shraun Amtath

Post by Amtath »

BadJawa wrote:Wotcha everyone,

Whilst I can understand the desire to play alts, and I can understand the desire to play Imperial alts, I would urge caution when considering setting up a sister guild of our own.

What makes a good guild is a good community. It's the companionship; whether joining fellow players for questing, for instancing, or even just chatting, having other people around makes us want to play more.

And having a good community here, it's only reasonable to want to play with the same community when it's time to pull out that Imperial alt and have a blast being naughty.

Here is where I advise caution, and for a number of reasons.

Regardless of how many people join this guild, each player only gets to log on once. So they're either going to be logged on as Republic or Imperial. Not both. That means that we're lowering the number of fellow players that we'll be able to game with at any one time. And not only that, we're actively promoting less opportunity to game with each other.

We're a Republic guild. Let's try and concentrate on being the best damn Republic guild in the game. There are plenty of multi-game, multi-faction guilds out there. And I specifically chose this guild because I didn't want the community I joined to be devolve into mediocrity by trying to spread itself too thin.

Why set up an Imperial guild of our own, when we can join someone else's? I'm pretty sure we can find an Imperial guild that would happily allow an exchange; we take their Republic alts, in exchange for them taking our Imperial alts. That way, we both work to improve game for each other, rather than lessening our game. That way both groups get to play their naughty alts in a good community, rather than a good community lessened.

Now, I might have got references to "sister guild" wrong. If so, please forgive me, but if that is what's being suggested here, I would strongly and whole-heartedly recommend against it. I'm fully intending to have Imperial alts at some time, but my plan was to either solo them, or find a guild that didn't mind having an extremely part time member.

Cheers,
Hawley.
Having done both systems, each have pros & cons.
  • Another Guild Pros:
  • Lively guild chat
  • Opportunity for grouping
  • Good for people that really want to play their alts
  • Crafting is better
  • Meeting new peoples
  • Another Guild Cons
  • In the case of alts exchange, we don't have any "quality" control
  • If we exchange with a big guild, we would have a lot low playing alts
  • If we exchange with a small guild, might risk of guild disband or one of us end up as guild leader (happened to me twice)
  • We are dependent of the guild leader's wishes, a change of GL might change the terms of our arrangement and some of us getting kicked out of the guild. What do we do on our end?
  • Sister Guild Pros
  • We have complete control over the guild, we don't depend on anyone
  • No exchange of members without question
  • Better for people that only wants to experience the other side
  • We know every members of the guild
  • Sister Guild Cons
  • Tend to be rather dead on that side outside of "Imperial Days" we might have
  • Looks much like a solo experience
  • Lack of crafting opportunities
But it depends also of the purpose of the sister guild, is it a place for dumping our imperial alts? Or do we want to be a two headed giants? In the first case, there is generally a no recruitment policy for the guild or will be it a full fledged guild?
A poll to ask the members of the guild what they expect of their imperial alts might be a good idea. Do they plan to play one? Do they plan to really play it as an alternative alt? Do they plan to play it just for the stories? How much time they expect to spend on it? Do they want to play their imperial with fellow Kestrelite?
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training"
Shraun Amtath - Jedi Knight
"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price."
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

well I imagine we'll be playing out republic mains for quite a while, at least say a month after launch.

If after that time a fair few people from TKM want to have a sister guild of imp alts, I don't see a problem, though we'd have to discuss at that point how we split our time and energy etc.

It's all, as they say in Soviet Russia...good.
Jens Jutoon
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Jens Jutoon (JJ)

Post by Jens Jutoon »

It's probably way to early to be thinking about imp alts or an imp guild anyway. I mean we haven't even played our republic characters in game yet! Like Jendoon said, it's going to be a few months after launch I would think. Any Imp alt I make will be just that, an alt. Most of my time will be dedicated to my Republic character. I just might play with the dark side every now and then, that's all.

Jens Jutoon - Gunslinger
Jen'ju - Jedi Knight
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Jens Jutoon wrote:It's probably way to early to be thinking about imp alts or an imp guild anyway. I mean we haven't even played our republic characters in game yet! Like Jendoon said, it's going to be a few months after launch I would think. Any Imp alt I make will be just that, an alt. Most of my time will be dedicated to my Republic character. I just might play with the dark side every now and then, that's all.
yeah, what he said.

ps, your sig is nice.