Mentoring.

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
Kaetha
Founder
SWTOR Characters: Kaetha Amathi

Re: Mentoring.

Post by Kaetha »

It's mostly OOC but expect a little blurring of the edges. Things do tend to bleed through from one aspect to the other.
Amtath
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Shraun Amtath

Post by Amtath »

I think in the context of this game, the concept of padawan and master isn't really right. Jedis aren't padawan anymore after Tython. And only a few will achieve the rank of master. We are equals in ranks and only masters could really get out of it.
It worked in Star Wars Galaxies because there wasn't any canon story, no real Jedi council. As The Old Republic is story heavy it will create a breach between we play the story and when we are role playing in the guild. And that applies for the other class as well.

I think a system of Watchers might be more in tune with the story and the backstory of the guild. As TKM is kind of an underground group, it would make sense that they are wary of new people and have that potential new recruit watched. I see on main Watcher that should be the same class as the recruit. That would help IC and OOC about the game, the guild, the world. And i would also recommend more Watchers, that I would call Silent Watchers (one of every other main class probably). Because mainly the main Watcher can't always be online.
And at the end, have some kind of trials from every of the Watchers. Nothing big or fancy, but a little bit of role play. Every watchers would have his unique trial, following his style and his characters. You can every sort of trials. Courage, craftsmanship, wisdom, trust in your allies, cooperation, strength, ...
The Guild Master might have go of a trial of his own that would act as an event guild to formally welcome the member to the guild.
The Trials should be for fun sake, nothing that should lead to certain failure, like for crafting, it would be a rather basic item. Some may take a serious approach and some a lot lighter.
Afterwards some may stop there, and other continue the link between the recruit and watcher. But the bond will always be there so everybody is free to do afterward how they feel like it.

I think rerolls should go through that as well, for role play sake, even though the outcome will be known.
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training"
Shraun Amtath - Jedi Knight
"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price."
Zenrana
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Zenrana

Post by Zenrana »

I'm usually quick to catch the mechanics of a class and healing has been my passion through 6 years of WoW, I don't know if I'll be of any use, since, well, we don't know what the game will be like in effect, but I do believe that I might be able to help others relatively quickly after actually playing the game.

Just a thought.
Yessir, Cap'n tightpants.
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

updated my original idea for this, to include Kaetha's suggestions..

"Greetings Kestralite,

we are very focussed on building a tight knit community of people who know each other well and are linked by bonds and duties, both OOC and IC. To this end we'd like to put forward our mentoring program, which is voluntary but encouraged.

Here are the basic guidelines.

To be a mentor, you need to be at least 10 levels above the person you want to guide, or be max level (which means they can be any level).

The agreement to Mentor should be discussed OOC in order to set down suitability, needs and plans , but agreed upon in character.

If you are a Jedi, they become your "Padawan." or "student"
If you are trooper, they become your "recruit" or "rookie"
If you are a smuggler, they become your "wingman" or "co-pilot"

Taking on a mentorship should not be done lightly and unless some serious disagreement or real life issue prevents the training from taking place, it should be seen through to the end (the mentee reaches max level). All this means is people don't hop, skip and jump from mentor to mentor.

At the completion of the training bond (when the student reaches max level), a small ceremony is expected to provide a community celebration of the advancement of it's members.