WLAN Cards

Forum for general discussions that aren't relevant to any of our other forums.
Tym
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Tymran

Re: WLAN Cards

Post by Tym »

Amtath wrote:HDD aren't that reliable either. They are way more prone to problems that SSD. I am sorry but there are just no data to back that claim (yet) and my personal experience from both end user and enterprise environments say otherwise. To be totally honest at least with non last generation of controllers.

And what you're talking is also an hybrid system. Just that the SSD & HDD parts are physically separate. And definitely not the way of the future, as the performance aren't equal to pure based SSD system. The differences are negligble. The price tag isnt. And more the gap in speed between SSD & HDD will grow, the less that would be a good idea. Because you can't cache everything. You dont really have to. What that system allows is to have storage space and a faster access speed and not have the reliability of a HDD and speed of a SSD. Well thats definitely phrased better then my conclusion but i still consider HDDs to be more reliable and the difference in speed negligible but everyone may have different past experience. Just sharing conclusions from my experiences with whom might be interested.

The storage capacity of the SSD will grow and slowly catch up. Because the bigger the HDD, the harder it gets and more error prone. The SSD technology becomes more mature. Yes i agree and i think its not that far in the future. The other thing is how long it will take for SSDs to match MB/price ratio of HDDs.
Never tell me the odds!
Amtath
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Shraun Amtath

Post by Amtath »

Tym wrote:
Amtath wrote:HDD aren't that reliable either. They are way more prone to problems that SSD. I am sorry but there are just no data to back that claim (yet) and my personal experience from both end user and enterprise environments say otherwise. To be totally honest at least with non last generation of controllers.
A HDD is more sensible to his environment: vibrations, heat, position. And it's mechanical. So many parts that can go wrong. It get used for every access on the disk (reading and writing). The failure might be mechanic or electronic.

A SSD is more versatile in his environment. It get used only for the writing. And it's TRIM to ease the use of the SSD, otherwise the OS will use the SSD as a normal HDD and the SSD won't like it (it's like putting diesel in a petrol car). And there is two type of SSD: SLC (Single Level Cell) & MLC (Multi Level Cell). MLC is the most common and the cheapest. SLC is the best of the two, faster, more durability (10 times a MLC) but for the same size of chip you can't stock twice time less.

But I ticked the most when you talked of HDD as reliable. Enterprise isn't a good view for that as most tend to buy quality goods. And those HDD aren't much cheaper than MLC SSD. For a hybrid system (Intel Smart Response), you are better to use a SLC SSD for all the writing it will do.

For the failure rate, an HDD as a failure rate of over 5% in general (twice that over 1 To - 20% after 3 years) and SSD around 2% (0.5% for Intel SSD - OCZ around 2-3% mark & 10% after 3 years). Those are enterprise numbers so might double it for standard HDD.
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training"
Shraun Amtath - Jedi Knight
"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price."
Tym
Ex-member

Post by Tym »

I am sorry for making you tick in any way. I am though amused by you trying to educate me. I am well aware of the theory but i speak about my own experiences and making my statements based upon them. Furthermore i see no reason to go into too much technical detail since this is not HW forum so please should you feel the need to continue this discussion do so in PM since we seem to be the only two interested (o:
Never tell me the odds!
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

There is only one way to settle this gents.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44 ... _Enemy.jpg
Friesian
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Xru

Post by Friesian »

so what benefit swtor play/load could i experience from

hdd drive pc 1 for system, 1 for games

sdd drive pc same

sdd + hdd drive system sdd and (rest) games hdd

and is wlan or wireless preferred, or do these only influnce mobility/freedom, safety issues
Tym
Ex-member

Post by Tym »

Basically whatever will be placed on the SSD will load much faster so it makes for better experience. It will not significantly raise max FPS but might compensate for FPS drops. SSD is not a salvation thing with computer its always complex problem depending on the system setup. There is no point in investing into SSD when the rest of the PC isnt up to the task. SSD make a great synergy effects with other newer parts. Unfortunately current systems are designed to compensate for HDD bottleneck so while raw SSD performance is to HDD factoring up to 100:1 (in some cases) OS performance is up to 2:1 and application ie games might even be as low as 1:1. It really cannot be that easily summarized. If you have the money go for SSD it makes the system feel more responsive and you will definitely see some nice effects.

As for WIFI vs wired connection it again depends on many factors. I will be more then happy to discuss it for example on VT. But generally speaking get wired if you can (o:
Never tell me the odds!
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

clearly you aren't getting the message!

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44 ... hotgun.jpg
Slide
Quartermaster
SWTOR Characters: Slide, Myreen
SteamID: Slidemoon
PSN Username: slidemoon
Xbox Live Gamertag: Slide Moon

Post by Slide »

This from my sales and service experience:

I wish I could say SSD was the reliable one, but I've seen them fail more than I expected. Most failure cases might be due to lack of TRIM indeed. I still like to think it's more reliable and performant than HDD.

HDDs break down sooner or later by definition. Moving parts can't work flawlessly indefinitely. I can't wait for it to become obsolete.
Most repair cases that we get are HDD failures in laptops. Also, users need to be explained the concept of backups before they walk out the door with their new computer, dammit! Moreover, they need to realize that there's no factory warranty on their data.

"Nice pants. Where you got them, Tightooine?"

Myreen - Guardian - damage dealer
Slide - Scoundrel - damage dealer
Jacynn - Vanguard - Tank
Zyall - Juggernaut - damage dealer