The two sides of the force: separate or part of a whole?

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
Malgunn
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Malgunn

The two sides of the force: separate or part of a whole?

Post by Malgunn »

Are the light and dark sides supposed to be two seperate things, or is there just one force and two ways to "use" it?

Malgunn Galazin
Smuggler ¦ Scoundrel ¦ Trader

SMUGGLERS: Don’t go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path. . . and leave a burning trail
Friesian
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Xru

Re: The two sides of the force: separate or part of a whole?

Post by Friesian »

Its one thing being both, but when both becomes one thing.
When both become one, the one thing isnot both.
So who knows.

Rumor is that there are no grey items as reward
Yogash
Ex-member

Post by Yogash »

yes
'I'm like a leaf on the wind...watch how i soar'
(how to fly Serenity)
“A Trooper doesn’t get tired…he just reloads”
'We're coming....and we're bringing GUNS'
'two words - massive cannon. I got it - you don't'
pata
Old-timer

Post by pata »

It is like the the light, it has dual nature (wave and particle). :)
Xoana (shadow)
Mortel (scoundrel)
Sennera (sage)
Grao-tak/Grao (gunslinger/vanguard)
Botond (guardian)
Lirian (commando)
Jázmin (sentinel)
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

The force is like a tool with no real "side" to it. People have "sides", the force does not.

You might hear someone say "he uses the dark side of the force", but in my opinion every force user just uses the force. Their attitude and emotions are what colour the force.

It's also important to observe, there are no powers which are inherantly light or darkside. Force choke can be used to save someone, as can force lightening. By comparision, force healing can be used to extend the suffering of a torture victim.

The force just is. It's like nature.

We are the light and darksides within ourselves.

/tiphat.
Malgunn
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Malgunn

Post by Malgunn »

hmmm i understand your view but think that over last 20 years the 'force' arguement has been clouded by moral balance.

Each side attempts to influence people to carry out the “will of the Force”—that is to say, the problem each person deals with in the star wars universe is how to realise himself without making life too impossible for others, how to gain self-mastery without gaining power over others, how to resist and yet retain compassion and understanding.

The dark side wants the individual to carry out the will of the Force without any regard for these things, making a mountain of the dead in the process if need be; while the good side wants the individual to achieve the will of the Force without harming others.

interesting quote from the man himself..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to have this mythological footing because I was basing the films on the idea that the Force has two sides, the good side, the evil side, and they both need to be there. Most religions are built on that, whether it's called yin and yang, God and the devil—everything is built on the push-pull tension created by two sides of the equation. Right from the very beginning, that was the key issue in Star Wars.

As evil begins to take over, it pushes the Force out of balance. It's easier to succumb to evil than it is to be a hero and try to work things through on the good side. Evil is inherently more powerful—it doesn't have the burden of worrying about other people.

— George Lucas, quoted in the LA Times, 2002

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Malgunn Galazin
Smuggler ¦ Scoundrel ¦ Trader

SMUGGLERS: Don’t go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path. . . and leave a burning trail
Cheesey
Ex-member

Post by Cheesey »

You guys have answered it in your replies really.

No one says "He uses the Dark Force" "She is a Master of the Light Force" etc but instead " He uses the dark side of the force"

We say sides, to have sides means its one thing.Two sides of a coin etc :)
Left guild because I joined light Rp guild and not what I class as as heavy RP guild . Cant be doing with OP and flashpoints IC sorry.
Plus I was sure it was called The Kestrel Minority and not JenDoons Ego.
Zenkutsu
Ex-member

Post by Zenkutsu »

Friesian wrote:Its one thing being both, but when both becomes one thing.
When both become one, the one thing isnot both.
So who knows.

Rumor is that there are no grey items as reward
Re Grey Items. Read a piece by a beta tester about following the grey path, at the end James Ohlen talks about 'Grey' items (as in neither light nor darkside but a perfect balance) "We've have a plan for [grey items]," Ohlen told me. "It's not in yet. It's something that's very near and dear to the heats of the writing team in particular."

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1210987p1.html
Friesian
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Xru

Post by Friesian »

yes, lol. That is my rumor source.
Sad no plus = for Light transform. My main will be dark but once 50 lv could go light influenced by TKM? mmm lol I want it to be december .....
Cheesey
Ex-member

Post by Cheesey »

It would be a truley great game that made it possible to be really neutral like NG or LN but dunno about CN (old ad&d terms :D )
Left guild because I joined light Rp guild and not what I class as as heavy RP guild . Cant be doing with OP and flashpoints IC sorry.
Plus I was sure it was called The Kestrel Minority and not JenDoons Ego.