Questions to Jen'Doon about languages in game

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
Lisszia
Recruitment Officer
SWTOR Characters: Neknivar, Lisszia, Cicc, ...

Questions to Jen'Doon about languages in game

Post by Lisszia »

The roleplay tips topic is useful, and seems complete, and many thanks for it. Emotes are especially good for me, I never find what I'm looking for, if I know there it's there, what I want to use, will be much easier to find, or I can just type it in. Don't want to mess it up with more character specific questions, so here are mine, I don't know how much it helps others but sure would help me.

It's about languages. Do you have an Ask Jen'Doon about RP, or something like that thread? If yes then I think I should have posted it there but didn't find it.

You already posted about Sith language, and about swearing.

I was reading about the Zabraki a lot, and doing so I read on most of the sites:
Most traditional Zabrak roleplayers will look upon /zabrak poorly.
Was it a translation option in SWG?
What I read also is that the proper way is to translate yourself and add the translation in bracket.
But the list of words are fannon, and short, if I try to say: "Brother don't die in there!" Then there is: in, not, you, what I can use, and brother, there, die are missing. So does like, safe, alive, caution, and nearly everything I'd use when speaking, most of the words are related to clan, duel, fight. I found it better to use, and did so in beginnings, to write it in English and adding OOC that she said it in Zabraki then to make up random words for the missing ones and give a translation.
I think it's nearly the same with most of the in game languages but I didn't search for others, so not sure.
But in game I don't want to reflect on TKM poorly, so: Which is the better way in your opinion?
Is it something like walking all your way, what you can do if you like and have time, but not necessary to do, or is it really a bad thing not to translate that part what you can and in that case if you translate do you use random words for the missing ones or just ... ?

The other is still language, on SWTOR site in the smuggler forums some fans developed a code language, the "smuggler's cant", sometime later they stopped developing the thread, but it has a long list of words.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=400347
Someone made an on line translator, I played with it a lot when it was new for fun. I think most of the words are hard to put in a sentence so that it won't be obvious that it's a code, so didn't plan on using in game, still I have saved the list of words to have them if the forums will be deleted after release, and linked in to my bookmarks the translator. Just to make sure, I have it, if after game start I find out that most of the smugglers are using it. Does TKM has any official opinion about using or not this kind of fannon things or it's optional for every player?

And one last question, as character born in the universe there, how much do you know generally about other species? Who you didn't live together in a small community, family, and so on... Is that enough or too much, or to small knowledge what you can read on the official site?
Neknivar Devsta Endris (Nekni) female zabrak, tiny
Other chars: Rhoo, Lisszia, Tríz, Lorna(imp), Loran, Cicc, Lette, Sla'laktu, Deesha, Siar, Old-triz, Lenaa (Nekni(imp), Nekní)