Mentoring.

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
Kaetha
Founder
SWTOR Characters: Kaetha Amathi

Mentoring.

Post by Kaetha »

It's something that I feel would be of benefit. If we get volunteers to act as mentors, helping out less experienced players/members with the game, with general star wars information and generally getting about.

Many roleplay guilds also run this sort of system within their structure. Jedi guilds have padawans and "lessons" to attend and so forth. I would see us not giving lessons per se as it doesn't fit with our overall image. We would instead show people the ropes, make sure they know which end of the blaster points at the other guy.

So less structure to it but just as informative. It is something you can do well within the scope of your character.

What I would require is a volunteer either from each class or each role who would be willing to impart their time and knowledge on the role/class and just give guidance. (So healer / tank/ dps melee/dps ranged)

I'm not asking for volunteers right away as nobody knows how classes work completely and what they entail, but please do have a think and if you do feel you may want to do this in the future then please feel free to contact me.
Zenosis
Old-timer
SWTOR Characters: San'dra Jerro, Sorania Jerro

Re: Mentoring.

Post by Zenosis »

I would be interested eventually, but like you said kaetha I would need to learn my character first and how it plays, I will say I always choose Skills/Abilities/Talents I like the look of, so means I will probably not have the highest DPS etc but Iwill enjoy it more.
Republic:
San'dra Jerro (lv58 Miralukan Jedi Sentinel)
Addiena Jerrol (lv53 Human Vanguard)
Sorania Jerro (Lv54 Miralukan Jedi Healer)
Aveline Jerrol (Lv39 Human Smuggler)
Imperials
Zenosis (lv60 Human Sniper)
Kavana Jerro (lv54 Miralukan Juggernaught)
Ruriko (Lv54 Human (Cybernetics) Mercenary)
Kiantarus (Sith Assassain, Sith Pure Blood)
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

This is a great idea, and for anyone playing a jedi, perfect for roleplay.

Sign me up as the Mentor for Consulars Sages.
Thrakos
Quartermaster
SWTOR Characters: Thrakos / Taunya / Neutrino
SteamID: Big White Bear
Xbox Live Gamertag: thraiax
Location: mostly Greece, occasional long periods of pillaging abroad..

Post by Thrakos »

Yeah I could totally see this working for the sort of "sarge" persona i see developing for Thrakos! I'd be up for shouting and shaming at some hapless trooper nublets every now and then!

This reminds me of the first guild i was part of on the moonglade server of wow. When we interviewed potential members we would actually do most of the interview in IC with just a bit ooc. If we felt they showed promise we would continue (or arrange a later meeting) and take them on a series of 'tests'. Tanks would be told to protect us as we ran around aggroing mobs like crazy, rogues would be told to collect a number of pickpocketing items, mages would have to guide us safely through a gauntlet of beasts by ccing them etc. It quickly earned the guild quite an enigmatic name as our guild leader-ess was actually quite strict and many would not make the cut.. ;-) people started to approach us ASKING to be tested even though we didnt raid or accomplish anything major in pvp or pve at the time... ^^
"Is that a small sewage plant you're carrying in your trousers, or do I detect you're a tad concerned?"
Terrog
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Terrog Vedkenis

Post by Terrog »

Thrakos wrote:Yeah I could totally see this working for the sort of "sarge" persona i see developing for Thrakos! I'd be up for shouting and shaming at some hapless trooper nublets every now and then!

This reminds me of the first guild i was part of on the moonglade server of wow. When we interviewed potential members we would actually do most of the interview in IC with just a bit ooc. If we felt they showed promise we would continue (or arrange a later meeting) and take them on a series of 'tests'. Tanks would be told to protect us as we ran around aggroing mobs like crazy, rogues would be told to collect a number of pickpocketing items, mages would have to guide us safely through a gauntlet of beasts by ccing them etc. It quickly earned the guild quite an enigmatic name as our guild leader-ess was actually quite strict and many would not make the cut.. ;-) people started to approach us ASKING to be tested even though we didnt raid or accomplish anything major in pvp or pve at the time... ^^
oh wow, If I was one of the potential members I wouldn't hesitate to send your guild to hell :lol:
Thrakos
Quartermaster
SWTOR Characters: Thrakos / Taunya / Neutrino
SteamID: Big White Bear
Xbox Live Gamertag: thraiax
Location: mostly Greece, occasional long periods of pillaging abroad..

Post by Thrakos »

haha some did ;) but we didn't do it in any arrogant "you have to be this good to join us" sorta thing.. it was always in the spirit of a fun little event for potential members, always IC and mostly to gauge their personalities a little deeper, give them a chance to get to know us and see if they really liked us too, and see if their was nice chemistry there. Might sound strange, but we actually ended up with a real friendly guild where all the members got along with each other quite well.. ^^
"Is that a small sewage plant you're carrying in your trousers, or do I detect you're a tad concerned?"
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

In character in game interviews are top class. You get to see if the person has roleplay skills and has created an interesting character.

We are a roleplay community after all. Anyone can fill out a good app on a website, but get em in game and lets see if they are prepared to do a small bit of work..

: )
Slide
Quartermaster
SWTOR Characters: Slide, Myreen
SteamID: Slidemoon
PSN Username: slidemoon
Xbox Live Gamertag: Slide Moon

Post by Slide »

I like that IC recruitment thing.

The most hardcore RP guild I was in, was the Stormwind City Watch on Argent Dawn server in WoW. Apart from a few basic notes on the website, everything was handled IC. No guildchat. It was a great way to get your character to be renown within the RP community. At a certain point, it became almost impossible for my char to take two steps on the streets without being approached for whatever reason people had.

I don't feel this is the direction we want TKM to take though. Still, it was a nice experience.

"Nice pants. Where you got them, Tightooine?"

Myreen - Guardian - damage dealer
Slide - Scoundrel - damage dealer
Jacynn - Vanguard - Tank
Zyall - Juggernaut - damage dealer
Kaetha
Founder
SWTOR Characters: Kaetha Amathi

Post by Kaetha »

Even I have memories of the watch, hearing of the exploits of their steam driven coffee machine. Also you couldn't walk 10 yards without bumping into one of them.
Ceandric
Ex-member

Post by Ceandric »

OOT: Argent Dawn'ers eh? I'm a long time Earthen Ring player myself. Tho I admit to playing on the right faction. Long live the Warchief!

On topic: As to mentoring, I'm a fan. I always try to understand my class as well as possible, both in practice as well as theoretical. I might even be up to be one when time comes. :evil: