Mentoring.

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
Kaetha
Founder
SWTOR Characters: Kaetha Amathi

Re: Mentoring.

Post by Kaetha »

Absolutely, it was always in my mind intended to be something that people who need help can ask for more than something we inflict on people. So yes just for those that need help.
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

I think every profession has a very natural "buddy system" space to it. Veteran Troopers taking a rookie under their wing, Jedi Knights/masters taking a padawan or two, and smugglers hiring a "partner".

This is all classic roleplay, and why anyone who loves RP wouldn't want to get involved is beyond me. Some of the best RP I've had in SWG has been in Master/Padawan friendships. It didn't take away anything from my ability to solo or farm or PvP.

So, I'm not saying we should enforce mentor systems, but I reckon we would be offering our members a valuable service if we had a rough system in place.

I'm happy to write up some ideas, as I've organized this kind of thing before.
Exerxes

Post by Exerxes »

Oh sorry my bad, I thought the mentoring system was more ingame mechanical teaching as opposed to a RP styled system.

Yes, certainly it makes sense for the guild to 'buddy' members in this way. And from my own character's POV as a Padawan it would be great to have someone RP the Master.
"Jedi refer to the ‘light side’ and the ‘dark side’, but really, these are only words, and the Force is beyond words. It is not evil, just as it isn’t good-it's simply what it is."

Xantos Hawkin
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Xantos Hawkin

Post by Xantos Hawkin »

Write some of your ideas Doon. Would be fun to hear them indeed :)
Kaetha
Founder
SWTOR Characters: Kaetha Amathi

Post by Kaetha »

Absolutely, quite happy to hear your thoughts on it Doon.
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Okieeday.

I like to do things as I'd do them in game, so here is a rough draft of a guild email I'd in theory send out.

"Greetings Kestralite,

we are very focussed on building a tight knit community of people who know each other well and are linked by bonds and duties, both OOC and IC. To this end we'd like to put forward our mentoring program, which is voluntary but encouraged.

Here are the basic guidelines.

To be a mentor, you need to be at least 20 levels above the person you want to guide, or be max level (which means they can be any level).

The agreement to Mentor should be discussed OOC, but agreed upon in character.

If you are a Jedi, they become your "Padawan."
If you are trooper, they become your "rookie"
If you are a smuggler, they become your "wingman"

Taking on a mentorship should not be done lightly and unless some serious disagreement or real life issue prevents the training from taking place, it should be seen through to the end (the mentee reaches max level).

At the completion of the training bond, a small ceremony is expected to provide a community celebration of the advancement of it's members.

If any guild member sucessfully mentors 3 players to max level, they are classed internally within our guild (perhaps even guild titled) as a Master of their profession, be that Jedi/trooper/smuggler.
Zenosis
Old-timer
SWTOR Characters: San'dra Jerro, Sorania Jerro

Post by Zenosis »

Yeah I like that doon, like the others say it should be optional.

But I like the idea you put forward in that letter/transcript.
Republic:
San'dra Jerro (lv58 Miralukan Jedi Sentinel)
Addiena Jerrol (lv53 Human Vanguard)
Sorania Jerro (Lv54 Miralukan Jedi Healer)
Aveline Jerrol (Lv39 Human Smuggler)
Imperials
Zenosis (lv60 Human Sniper)
Kavana Jerro (lv54 Miralukan Juggernaught)
Ruriko (Lv54 Human (Cybernetics) Mercenary)
Kiantarus (Sith Assassain, Sith Pure Blood)
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Thanks, it's just a rough starting point.

"Kestrelite"... :lol:
Exerxes

Post by Exerxes »

I don't know why but I thought of this:

"Kestrelite" presents 'Real Men Of Genius'

Today, we salute you, Mr. Guild Forum Trialist
(Mr. Guild Forum Trialist)
With your overgrown bushy beard and cheeto stained white shirt
(Smelling of BO)

Yadda yadda yadda

LOL, that's the best I could do...

Linkie for those who don't get it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFfq6J-rKns

;)

Ex
"Jedi refer to the ‘light side’ and the ‘dark side’, but really, these are only words, and the Force is beyond words. It is not evil, just as it isn’t good-it's simply what it is."

Slide
Quartermaster
SWTOR Characters: Slide, Myreen
SteamID: Slidemoon
PSN Username: slidemoon
Xbox Live Gamertag: Slide Moon

Post by Slide »

Interesting, Doon!
Doon wrote:Taking on a mentorship should not be done lightly and unless some serious disagreement or real life issue prevents the training from taking place, it should be seen through to the end (the mentee reaches max level).
Personally, that's not a level of commitment I look for. I consider myself a casual player and when I do log on, I want to be able to do the stuff I want. If I can group up with guildies while doing so, all the better! If I can help out lower-leveled characters at the same time, better still. I wouldn't want to create an expectancy for mentees that they can be mentored every time their mentor logs on.

I don't mean to sound selfish, or maybe I misinterpret this. I'm not against such commitments to exist, of course! After all, people should do what they want. I just don't see myself as a part of it.

"Nice pants. Where you got them, Tightooine?"

Myreen - Guardian - damage dealer
Slide - Scoundrel - damage dealer
Jacynn - Vanguard - Tank
Zyall - Juggernaut - damage dealer