Mentoring.

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
Thrakos
Quartermaster
SWTOR Characters: Thrakos / Taunya / Neutrino
SteamID: Big White Bear
Xbox Live Gamertag: thraiax
Location: mostly Greece, occasional long periods of pillaging abroad..

Re: Mentoring.

Post by Thrakos »

Slide wrote:Interesting, Doon!
Doon wrote:Taking on a mentorship should not be done lightly and unless some serious disagreement or real life issue prevents the training from taking place, it should be seen through to the end (the mentee reaches max level).
Personally, that's not a level of commitment I look for. I consider myself a casual player and when I do log on, I want to be able to do the stuff I want. If I can group up with guildies while doing so, all the better! If I can help out lower-leveled characters at the same time, better still. I wouldn't want to create an expectancy for mentees that they can be mentored every time their mentor logs on.

I don't mean to sound selfish, or maybe I misinterpret this. I'm not against such commitments to exist, of course! After all, people should do what they want. I just don't see myself as a part of it.
I have to agree, at the end of the day I prefer to keep a game as a game :) for fun. Mentoring should be kept a light-hearted and optional situation that would promote rp and guild fellowship. Level and skill should neither come into it, nor be enforced, I feel. Knowledge of a class should be passed down through tips, advice and class guides written on the forum if someone feels creative and inspired.. and again, only optionally. :)

More than that starts coming across as a bit too elitist for my liking in my opinion.
"Is that a small sewage plant you're carrying in your trousers, or do I detect you're a tad concerned?"
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Absolutely, I agree. I don't think being a mentor should mean you're a slave to your mentee, or that you need to help them 24/7..that would suck.

When I mentioned people taking the bond seriously, I was aiming more at folks not starting and stopping different mentorships every day, or "master hopping" as we used to call it in SWG.

It should be a light hearted fun situation, where each person discusses and explains what they hope to get out of it, and can offer etc. I just would hope people would take it seriously in the way of respecting it.

Really, at the end of the day, it's just a buddy system with a roleplay twist to it, nothing heavy.
Machior
Lieutenant
SWTOR Characters: Serra Lightblade

Post by Machior »

Well I think the mentoring system sounds very good really. And as with most here I do agree it should be an optional thing you partake in as well as not having a full 24/7 commitment to someone you mentor (or are mentee to). That would ruin the fun of playing for at least one side of the mentor-mentee relationship.
As said though I do like the idea and I might want to enter Serra into it (in either role) at some point.

Master hopping should indeed also be discouraged really, a student should be somewhat certain of the master he/she picks before engaging in it (of course master hopping to a few could also just be part of the RP the person would like to do, but then I think it should be discussed first so people will know that it will happen, for example for an undecisive character or such).
Kaetha
Founder
SWTOR Characters: Kaetha Amathi

Post by Kaetha »

Doon wrote:Okieeday.

I like to do things as I'd do them in game, so here is a rough draft of a guild email I'd in theory send out.

"Greetings Kestralite,

we are very focussed on building a tight knit community of people who know each other well and are linked by bonds and duties, both OOC and IC. To this end we'd like to put forward our mentoring program, which is voluntary but encouraged.

Here are the basic guidelines.

To be a mentor, you need to be at least 20 levels above the person you want to guide, or be max level (which means they can be any level). I would possibly change this to 5 or 10 that should provide enough of a gap. Plus mentors are most likely to be those in the guild with the most overall experience in their class, that doesn't always reflect with level. Any plonker can just grind up a character.

The agreement to Mentor should be discussed OOC, but agreed upon in character.

If you are a Jedi, they become your "Padawan."
If you are trooper, they become your "rookie"
If you are a smuggler, they become your "wingman"
This looks fine to me.

Taking on a mentorship should not be done lightly and unless some serious disagreement or real life issue prevents the training from taking place, it should be seen through to the end (the mentee reaches max level).

At the completion of the training bond, a small ceremony is expected to provide a community celebration of the advancement of it's members. Nice touch.

If any guild member sucessfully mentors 3 players to max level, they are classed internally within our guild (perhaps even guild titled) as a Master of their profession, be that Jedi/trooper/smuggler. Not sure about this bit, requires further pondering.

Overall good stuff, will have a think.
Kaetha
Founder

Post by Kaetha »

I am rebumping this for continued thought.
Hooknose
Registered

Post by Hooknose »

I like the look of the system, it's not for me but certainly looks like it would add some RP fun. Not sure about the rewarding with title bit, but that's probably just me being paranoid about handing out titles and ranks in guilds.

Slip really isn't the guy you want mentoring folk anyways, unless you want them learning that drinking and shooting folk prematurely is the way to handle business.
"I aint got time to die!"
Kaetha
Founder

Post by Kaetha »

Who knows Hook, it might be the best way. ;)
Friesian
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Xru

Post by Friesian »

hehe. No clear here yet.
is this ooc, ic or both even connected to recruitment in game, or website
Nemene
Registered
SWTOR Characters: Nemene Tedronai

Post by Nemene »

I wouldn't mind people pestering me about stuff (I do love my theorycrafting >.>) but I just can't see my character wanting someone following her about like a lost puppy dog (well, that'd be how she saw it anyway).
█╬╬╬╬()╬█Ξ██████████████████████████████████)
There is nothing new, except what has been forgotten.
(██████████████████████████████████Ξ█╬()╬╬╬╬█
Jens Jutoon
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Jens Jutoon (JJ)

Post by Jens Jutoon »

I can't honestly see JJ being the type of bloke you would want mentoring people either, not in character anyway. Unless you wanted to know the best drinking spots, best black market traders or easiest/cheapest place to park your ship, things like that.

OOC is another thing. I wouldn't mind being some sort of guide, maybe like a newbie guide of sorts, nothing to in depth. To be honest I'm not great when it comes to the finer points of any certain class. I very much a point, press and hope for the best type of guy.

Jens Jutoon - Gunslinger
Jen'ju - Jedi Knight