Bump for your future

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
Exerxes

Re: Bump for your future

Post by Exerxes »

Thrakos wrote:Not exactly :)

TKM came together to deal with a problem they had in common but for different reasons. We gave, i believe at the time, the example of taking down a crime syndicate on a backwater world. One person may have been motivated by vengeance towards the syndicate for harming a loved one for example, another may have been motivated by greed to get a look at the crime-lords treasury, yet another may have been there simply on republic orders or really any reason that a person could fathom. Regardless, the group saw a common goal and worked together to take down the sydicate. Whatever each individuals particular reasons for being there, they found that they worked quite well together and over celebratory drinks at a local canteena later, they formed up the Kestrel Minority.

They are neither mercenaries nor do they do the republic or anyone else's dirty work. They are simply a small organization of like-minded individuals who find they get a long and work very well together to overcome perhaps impossible seeming odds.

There is no heavy central agenda as such (at least not yet). As I see it, at the start of the game, TKM are comprised of some people who took part in whatever operation this was together and others who joined up later for their own reasons. Where the story shall go from there we will see through the game. :)
Yeah that's how I thought TKM was meant to be but couldn't quite fathom out how to say it... hehe. Well posted.
"Jedi refer to the ‘light side’ and the ‘dark side’, but really, these are only words, and the Force is beyond words. It is not evil, just as it isn’t good-it's simply what it is."

LedThomsen
Registered

Post by LedThomsen »

I see and understand what you mean - But I don't see you giving an answer to the "Jedi-problem" -- Which is one big stick in the wheel imo :)

How would you fit Jedi into such an organisation?
"Do or do not - There is no try..." - Master Yoda
Exerxes

Post by Exerxes »

Hmmm well... I don't understand the problem you're trying to put across...

And if your problem is about how Jedi fit into a guild in general then that goes beyond TKM and to SWTOR itself... which I'm sure has already been discussed to death.

The setup that Thrakos gave is so open there really shouldn't be a problem.
"Jedi refer to the ‘light side’ and the ‘dark side’, but really, these are only words, and the Force is beyond words. It is not evil, just as it isn’t good-it's simply what it is."

Yogash
Ex-member

Post by Yogash »

Which has priority - 'the force' or 'the council'? If the orders of the council clash with your instincts..your force feeling - what are you going to do?

It will be the same for all but perhaps not as strongly felt - do troopers blindly obey the orders of their officers or follow what they know is right?

Who can say that the force would not bring Jedi to that place and that time where they meet and even join TKM?

TKM, where folks of different races, classes, approaches to life have at some time met and recognised a spark in common. Some will be bound strongly together as they see their causes advance together others will be more peripheral perhaps. Some might see it purely as a place to exchange materials and crafting skills enabling them to improve in their own way. All know however that should the cry go out for aid the bond is strong enough for all that can, to come to the assistance of the others. Whether they ask for a favour in return or payment in credits or for nothing, matters not - it is that they will come if they can.

They come together because together they are stronger and together they can achieve more than when alone.

A lone Jedi versus a Sith army as ordered by the council - he can go to stop them and fail. He can call on the Kestrel Minority - they will come and the chance of success rises.

There will be setbacks, trials and tribulations, glorious victories against all odds, moments of fun and humour but that is all part of TKM.

The important part however, is we do it together.

OR

The Jedi Council is political containing many factions and views. It rarely acts as a complete Council more through the instructions of individual councillors. When they meet they spend days arguing.
Whose orders do you follow?
Or do you follow your own path be it light, grey or dark?
:?
'I'm like a leaf on the wind...watch how i soar'
(how to fly Serenity)
“A Trooper doesn’t get tired…he just reloads”
'We're coming....and we're bringing GUNS'
'two words - massive cannon. I got it - you don't'
LedThomsen
Registered

Post by LedThomsen »

The unity of the guild can not be questioned of course. I am, though, questioning if it is realistic that a Jedi would operate beyond and without the Jedi Council -- Only 20 through -all time- have left the Jedi Council, and most of them turned Sith og became Dark Jedi.

"The way of the Jedi was a life-long path, and a Jedi usually remained part of the Order their entire life—learning more about the Order and the Force and following the will of the Jedi Council. Up until the beginning of the Clone Wars, only twenty Jedi (of rank Master or higher) were said to have ever left the Order (although there is some debate as to whether this means the post-Ruusan Order, the Order after some earlier point in its history, or literally in its entire history), of which the most prominent were Count Dooku and Master Phanius. These were commonly referred to as the Lost Twenty, or simply "The Lost". " - Wookieepedia about the path of the Jedi.

Honestly I don't think this is about doing what is right, as much as going against actual SW and Jedi lore. Jedi aren't Jedi without the Council and the Order - Through the entire history of the Jedi they have been a minority, closely knitted together and unable to work without the major society and haven the Jedi Order resembles.

If the plan is to make TKM a neutral society away from the Republic, I can't picture any Jedi in it. Obviously such Jedi would be scorned by their fellow Jedi for their ignorance and vanity; think they can be without the Order. And ignorance and vanity are Dark Side traits, alas, again breaking from the order would likely lead a Fall for a Jedi.

Can you see what I mean?
Slide
Quartermaster
SWTOR Characters: Slide, Myreen
SteamID: Slidemoon
PSN Username: slidemoon
Xbox Live Gamertag: Slide Moon

Post by Slide »

I don't see TKM as an excluding group in the way that if you are with TKM, you can't have other allegiances.

My take is that members of TKM can be part of other groups, such as the Republic Army, the Jedi Order or a Coruscant Gentlemen's club.

Being part of an order or army doesn't necessarily mean that one has to agree with all the strictures that come with it, even if they adhere to them. I like to think that within the Jedi Order there are rivalries and intrigues, even if it's supposed to be a serene conglomerate of like-minded Jedi, pursuing to bring peace and justice throughout the galaxy.

On the other hand, even if everyone does get along (and spends their days off jumping and skipping hand-in-hand through the grassy fields of Naboo whilst engaging in cattle-surfing and the like) the Jedi Order might want to see certain things done in the name of justice, but can't get a mandate from the Republic for it for bureaucratic and/or political reasons. That's where a low-profile clandestine organisation can be implemented.

If Kestrelites that are loyal members of the Jedi Order find themselves in a situation where a TKM objective might clash with Order strictures or goals, this may exactly be the kind of tension that make for great drama.

"Nice pants. Where you got them, Tightooine?"

Myreen - Guardian - damage dealer
Slide - Scoundrel - damage dealer
Jacynn - Vanguard - Tank
Zyall - Juggernaut - damage dealer
Terrog
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Terrog Vedkenis

Post by Terrog »

Slide wrote:I don't see TKM as an excluding group in the way that if you are with TKM, you can't have other allegiances.

My take is that members of TKM can be part of other groups, such as the Republic Army, the Jedi Order or a Coruscant Gentlemen's club.

Being part of an order or army doesn't necessarily mean that one has to agree with all the strictures that come with it, even if they adhere to them. I like to think that within the Jedi Order there are rivalries and intrigues, even if it's supposed to be a serene conglomerate of like-minded Jedi, pursuing to bring peace and justice throughout the galaxy.

On the other hand, even if everyone does get along (and spends their days off jumping and skipping hand-in-hand through the grassy fields of Naboo whilst engaging in cattle-surfing and the like) the Jedi Order might want to see certain things done in the name of justice, but can't get a mandate from the Republic for it for bureaucratic and/or political reasons. That's where a low-profile clandestine organisation can be implemented.

If Kestrelites that are loyal members of the Jedi Order find themselves in a situation where a TKM objective might clash with Order strictures or goals, this may exactly be the kind of tension that make for great drama.
Just this: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thrakos
Quartermaster
SWTOR Characters: Thrakos / Taunya / Neutrino
SteamID: Big White Bear
Xbox Live Gamertag: thraiax
Location: mostly Greece, occasional long periods of pillaging abroad..

Post by Thrakos »

What slidey said.. :D
"Is that a small sewage plant you're carrying in your trousers, or do I detect you're a tad concerned?"
Exerxes

Post by Exerxes »

Jedi operate without the will of the council all the time. Qui-Gon Jinn is the most obvious example but even Obi-Wan has done so.

So it really isn't against Lore to have an open guild; there is a certain element here of a Game Mechanic being crossed with Lore.

There are plently of players here who will be playing as Jedi and do not see it as a problem Lorewise or Game Mechanic wise to be a part of TKM.

Please don't take this the wrong way but if your feeling is still that strongly against Jedi being in open guilds then perhaps you should check out Jedi-Exclusive guilds and see if they match your particular needs.

LedThomsen
Registered

Post by LedThomsen »

So TKM is a group of people, who met each other on a dangerous mission fightning some criminal syndicate. After succesfully having overcome this danger, they decide to from The Kestrel Minority, wanting to fight injustice and be advocates of the weak. The guild is therefore a group with a military purpose reaching its goals by military means. It tracks down its own targets and eliminate them. By doing so they gain the good will of the Senate and the Jedi Order who see this as an oppertunity to get around the bureaucracy and serve justice.

- That is the idea of the Kestrel Minority?