A wee guide to RP for the uninitiated (or simply unsure).

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
Yogash
Ex-member

Re: A wee guide to RP for the uninitiated (or simply unsure)

Post by Yogash »

Most definitely OOC though i have been known to impersonate a trooper...
'I'm like a leaf on the wind...watch how i soar'
(how to fly Serenity)
“A Trooper doesn’t get tired…he just reloads”
'We're coming....and we're bringing GUNS'
'two words - massive cannon. I got it - you don't'
BadJawa
Ex-member

Post by BadJawa »

Wotcha everyone,

First advice I'd give to anyone is don't worry; you won't be judged or marked on your role-playing. Anyone who *would* judge you either doesn't understand what role-playing is, or is a little too lost in their own ego.

Winning is sometimes losing. You don't need to "win" at everything; sometimes losing is winning. It doesn't matter if you win or lose an argument, because it's the role-playing of that argument that is important. It's about being a character involved in an argument, not forcing your opinion on someone else. And losing an argument can lead to a new way of thinking, and therefore playing your character, so how can that be a loss?

Some of the most fun times I've had role-playing have been when "losing". Mainly because winning mostly means the status quo continues, whereas losing means change, and change ends stagnation.

Be a generous role-player. Don't just take game, *make* game. In your emotes, in what you say and do, give an opportunity to respond. Putting out a closed statement is no fun for your fellow role-players, whereas giving something that you can all expand on makes for good game, if not great game.

Real people don't talk in txt spk. They talk like characters in novels; with capitals, punctuation, and real words. It makes characters appear more real when they do the same. Take advantage of the opportunity to take part in the novel on the screen.

Your secret history is exactly that; secret. If you tell everyone you meet 5 minutes after meeting them, it's not that secret. Let it out over six months, and only to a trusted friend. Maybe.

Cheers,
Hawley.
Subtlety is for other people.
Slide
Quartermaster
SWTOR Characters: Slide, Myreen
SteamID: Slidemoon
PSN Username: slidemoon
Xbox Live Gamertag: Slide Moon

Post by Slide »

Good points, Hawley.

I can elaborate on that. We RP'ed a trial (a rather popular type of event in WoW; we had some of those) in which my character was accused of murder, looting, pillaging and allegiance to a criminal organisation (which was all true). One of my main OOC allies in this story played the prosecution. Through behind-the-scenes manipulation (in which I wasn't involved), a key testimony was found to be invalid, and the judge abolished the trial. The prosecutor threw an OOC fit because this wasn't planned, and all his work would have been for nothing. I didn't even know what happened until after the trial was over and someone told me.

The point is, these were all IC decisions and proceedings. Just like in real life, things tend to turn out differently than what you may have in mind. The only way to deal with them is to roll with it. Make it part of your story and move on.

"Nice pants. Where you got them, Tightooine?"

Myreen - Guardian - damage dealer
Slide - Scoundrel - damage dealer
Jacynn - Vanguard - Tank
Zyall - Juggernaut - damage dealer
Aurvan
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Corwan

Post by Aurvan »

Will this game have "chat bubbles" or any sort of indication in the 3D world who is saying what? Without that in a crowded setting (more than 5 people, really) it's easy to lose track of who says what. This is obviously just for channels that have a short range (mostly /say). Can't recall having seen anything like this.
Slide
Quartermaster

Post by Slide »

Aurvan wrote:Will this game have "chat bubbles" ...
That's confirmed.
Moreover, it's possible to communicate this way with the opposite faction, and it's probably the only way.

Jacynn - Vanguard - Tank
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Slide wrote:
Aurvan wrote:Will this game have "chat bubbles" ...
That's confirmed.
Moreover, it's possible to communicate this way with the opposite faction, and it's probably the only way.

Where is it confirmed? Last I heard there are no chat bubbles.
Slide
Quartermaster

Post by Slide »

I heard there were no bubbles in the beta, but they will be in the final game.

I'm not sure where I picked that up and my claims are subject to complete bantha-crap.

Jacynn - Vanguard - Tank
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

I agree 100% with Hawley. Think of the Starwars films and the most iconic memorable scenes. Most of them are pretty negative for the characters.

Han Solo getting frozen in Carbonite= not a good day,epic roleplay
Luke getting his hand cut off =bad time, good roleplay
Princess leia in that costume =unwise career move, sexual awakening of a whole generation..and ugh..good RP.

It's also important to have social RP events and downtime from war and violence and mystery. The characters of TKM need somewhere to share their stories and form friendships and possibly even romantic bonds *winks at Blomsma*. The important thing is, every character should have something going on with them, all the time that is a possible starting point for conflict.
Thrakos
Quartermaster
SWTOR Characters: Thrakos / Taunya / Neutrino
SteamID: Big White Bear
Xbox Live Gamertag: thraiax
Location: mostly Greece, occasional long periods of pillaging abroad..

Post by Thrakos »

Slide wrote:I heard there were no bubbles in the beta, but they will be in the final game.

I'm not sure where I picked that up and my claims are subject to complete bantha-crap.
Yeah I remember watching a vid where some Dev confirmed chat bubbles are the only form of cross-faction communication.

Actually, here it is!
7:47p: Q: Cross faction communication between friends? JO: Nope, you're screwed. You're enemies. You can walk up to them and do chat bubbles with them.
"Is that a small sewage plant you're carrying in your trousers, or do I detect you're a tad concerned?"
Slide
Quartermaster

Post by Slide »

JenDoon wrote:I agree 100% with Hawley. Think of the Starwars films and the most iconic memorable scenes. Most of them are pretty negative for the characters.

Han Solo getting frozen in Carbonite= not a good day,epic roleplay
Luke getting his hand cut off =bad time, good roleplay
Princess leia in that costume =unwise career move, sexual awakening of a whole generation..and ugh..good RP.

It's also important to have social RP events and downtime from war and violence and mystery. The characters of TKM need somewhere to share their stories and form friendships and possibly even romantic bonds *winks at Blomsma*. The important thing is, every character should have something going on with them, all the time that is a possible starting point for conflict.
Okay, I propose an RP event during which we freeze Hawley in carbonite, cut off Thrakkie's hand and dress Doon in a metal bikini! Epic stuff!

Jacynn - Vanguard - Tank