WLAN Cards

Forum for general discussions that aren't relevant to any of our other forums.
Nilat
Registered

Re: WLAN Cards

Post by Nilat »

Oohh, unlucky! My mobo fried probably because I spilled water on my extension chord and there was probably a power surge. No other components were damaged, luckily. And go on, tell us your specs :D Lets hear about this monster of yours!

And yeah, I'm studying in Aber. You from Borth or something? :)
Zenosis
Old-timer
SWTOR Characters: San'dra Jerro, Sorania Jerro

Post by Zenosis »

Nilat wrote:Oohh, unlucky! My mobo fried probably because I spilled water on my extension chord and there was probably a power surge. No other components were damaged, luckily. And go on, tell us your specs :D Lets hear about this monster of yours!

And yeah, I'm studying in Aber. You from Borth or something? :)
Well I live in a small town called Machynlleth which is 18 miles away from Aber.
HUm System Specs...... ok you convinced me

Intel i7 960 @ 3.2 Ghz
System Ram 12GB (Yes I know way to much but it was a special deal)
1TB Solid State Hard Drive.
Nivida GTX 480 GFX Card (1GB Video Ram)
Realtek HD Audio Manager 7:1 (but I have a 5:1 sound setup) (might be considered weakness as its an onboard soundcard)
24in Widescreen (1920*1200 resident Resolution)
Killer Xeno NDIS EDGE interface (Lan Card)
now the weakest link a Broadband connection than can fluctuate between 500kb/sec and 5MB/sec depending on time of day (exchange not getting upgraded so its the old copper wires and things :) )
Republic:
San'dra Jerro (lv58 Miralukan Jedi Sentinel)
Addiena Jerrol (lv53 Human Vanguard)
Sorania Jerro (Lv54 Miralukan Jedi Healer)
Aveline Jerrol (Lv39 Human Smuggler)
Imperials
Zenosis (lv60 Human Sniper)
Kavana Jerro (lv54 Miralukan Juggernaught)
Ruriko (Lv54 Human (Cybernetics) Mercenary)
Kiantarus (Sith Assassain, Sith Pure Blood)
Actaeon
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Actaeon

Post by Actaeon »

Zenosis wrote:HUm System Specs...... ok you convinced me

Intel i7 960 @ 3.2 Ghz
Realtek HD Audio Manager 7:1 (but I have a 5:1 sound setup) (might be considered weakness as its an onboard soundcard)
now the weakest link a Broadband connection than can fluctuate between 500kb/sec and 5MB/sec depending on time of day (exchange not getting upgraded so its the old copper wires and things :) )

Ace system! :D

I prefer to think of extra RAM as 'future-proofing' ;) Is that a customised build or did you buy components and build from scratch?

I have the GTX 480 myself, have you got the stock fan on yours? What sort of temperatures are you getting idle/running if you don't mind me asking?

Mines 38-42 idle and anything between 56-65ish under load...

My system:

Intel i5-2500+ 3.2 @ 3.8 GHz
8GB Ram
60Gb SSD / 1TB HDD
NVidia GTX 480 1.5Gb GPU Memory
21.5" Widescreen (1920*1200 resident Resolution) Monitor - Feels massive after 3 years of 15" laptop!
A piece of plastic claiming to provide Wireless Internet Connection - Not convinced

I too use onboard sound (Provides up to 5.1 iirc) but in my provided accommodation I don't think the neighbours would appreciate the noise greatly :lol: so a headset it will - for now 2.1 suffices :oops:
Main Character(s):

Actaeon :: Level 45 :: Scoundrel & Hot Beverages Technician
Kaetha
Founder
SWTOR Characters: Kaetha Amathi

Post by Kaetha »

I feel emasculated. :cry:

Phenom x4 B50 @ 3.11ghz (running only 3 cores, cos Im a sod).
4gb ddr3 @ 1600mhz
1TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 460 OC Gigabyte Edition with 1gb

The rest is all onboard gubbins on my motherboard.

Standard 19 inch widescreen monitor and when I'm feeling silly I plug in my 32 inch TV.
Machior
Lieutenant
SWTOR Characters: Serra Lightblade

Post by Machior »

Tsk, if you feel emasculated... how should I feel then?

Intel Duo Core @ 2.4 Ghz
4 GB DDR2
2.4 TB HDD (3 HDDs in total to get the strange number to be precise :P)
ATI Radeon 4870 HD

That's my spec atm, for as far as I can check it :P so no feeling so bad about yourselves. However I'm able to run most games anyway. Was pondering on upgrading my gfx card to a GTX 590 or something similar.

Using my 24 inch HD TV though as monitor.

[Edit]: There it was an intel even, AMD was my previous... shows how long it's been since I fiddled with my comp :P
As for my keyboard and other peripherals though (to respond to Yogash) using a Logitech Performance MX Mouse (Wireless), a Logitech MK700 keyboard (wireless also), and a Logitech G13 gaming keypad. Used to have the old style G15 Keyboard but it broke down, and it was no longer produced in the way I had it (the original G15 came with 18 macro buttons, an LCD and some other stuff, the newer types has 6 less macro buttons and no LCD).
Yogash
Ex-member

Post by Yogash »

well i know the monitor is 27" and HD. I know i have 2x 1TB Hard drives internal and a couple of externals. The rest seems to just run fine. I hate wireless so all is wired. Oh yes G15 logitech keyboard and Roccat Kova + mouse.
'I'm like a leaf on the wind...watch how i soar'
(how to fly Serenity)
“A Trooper doesn’t get tired…he just reloads”
'We're coming....and we're bringing GUNS'
'two words - massive cannon. I got it - you don't'
Zenosis
Old-timer
SWTOR Characters: San'dra Jerro, Sorania Jerro

Post by Zenosis »

Actaeon wrote:
Zenosis wrote:HUm System Specs...... ok you convinced me

Intel i7 960 @ 3.2 Ghz

Ace system! :D

I prefer to think of extra RAM as 'future-proofing' ;) Is that a customised build or did you buy components and build from scratch?

I have the GTX 480 myself, have you got the stock fan on yours? What sort of temperatures are you getting idle/running if you don't mind me asking?

Mines 38-42 idle and anything between 56-65ish under load...

My system:

Intel i5-2500+ 3.2 @ 3.8 GHz
8GB Ram
60Gb SSD / 1TB HDD
NVidia GTX 480 1.5Gb GPU Memory
21.5" Widescreen (1920*1200 resident Resolution) Monitor - Feels massive after 3 years of 15" laptop!
A piece of plastic claiming to provide Wireless Internet Connection - Not convinced

I too use onboard sound (Provides up to 5.1 iirc) but in my provided accommodation I don't think the neighbours would appreciate the noise greatly :lol: so a headset it will - for now 2.1 suffices :oops:
Well it was a customised Build, my Keyboard is the standard that comes with Alienware, the mouse is an X7 Gaming Mouse (with Variable DPI, though I leavit on on max, ccan't remember what ti is but it is pretty high) I am considering replacing the keyboard for either a Logitech G19 or something similar. or newr version if therir is one

oh due to the RAM I am Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
as for temperature, I am not sure but I do have the standard Fan on the GFX card. The case is pretty Huge with variable speed fans and Flaps on the top that move as the Fans Speed Up, the Fans go faster as the temperature rises, I know the case Temp is 19-25 Degrees Celcius. But I do not know where its sensors are.
Republic:
San'dra Jerro (lv58 Miralukan Jedi Sentinel)
Addiena Jerrol (lv53 Human Vanguard)
Sorania Jerro (Lv54 Miralukan Jedi Healer)
Aveline Jerrol (Lv39 Human Smuggler)
Imperials
Zenosis (lv60 Human Sniper)
Kavana Jerro (lv54 Miralukan Juggernaught)
Ruriko (Lv54 Human (Cybernetics) Mercenary)
Kiantarus (Sith Assassain, Sith Pure Blood)
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

I'ma gonna weigh in here with my babybird. It's custom job with no fat.

- Case: Antec 300 Case with Green LED Fans
- Power Supply: OCZ StealthXStream 700W Power supply
- CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4.60GHz Sandybridge CPU (totally stable overclock)
- Motherboard: Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard ** B3 REVISION **
- Cooler: Corsair H60 CPU Cooler
- RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Ki8GB
- Hard Drive: 1tb (I forget the brand)
- Graphics: Geforce gtx 580 1536MB GDDR5
- Sound: Realtek 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)
- Optical Drive: LG DVD+/-RW SATA Drive
- 60gb SSD (for my win 7)

When you can play crysis warhead on max settings and not have it even whine, you know you've got an amazing system. It runs cool even with games like champions online (quite intense graphics for an MMO) on max settings and huge 30 man raids. It's silent as well and boots up in about 10 seconds.

LORDS OF SKYRIM AND SWTOR..COME AT ME BRO!
Tym
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Tymran

Post by Tym »

I know its a bit late but nobody answered the question (o:
so USB (talking 1.1/2.0 the most common) vs PCI. Always choose PCI over USB whenever possible its almost three times as fast (theoretically) as USB. Even thou the speed of connection doesnt really matter (since you will not be reaching the limit with WIFI with either) more important is the fact that most USB devices are inferior to PCI devices from the standpoint of durability and quality of parts used in most cases.

With the WIFI take care about not having the antenna surrounded by a lot of wires = lots of interference especially if you dont have the router in the next room. When necessary you can get an extension cord for WIFI antenna and put the antenna somewhere with less interefence (read less wires).

As for the specs since everybody is doing it

E6850 @3,6 GHz
P35 gygabyte mobo
4 GB DDR3 1333
HD 5770 1GB
650 GB WD Black + 2x2 TB lying around accessible through HDD craddle on e-sata
win7 64x

And Opera FTW!

btw anyone still believing in Zambezzi ? or just me....
Never tell me the odds!
Zenkutsu
Ex-member

Post by Zenkutsu »

1TB Solid State Hard Drive? Did you win the lotto or something?