WLAN Cards

Forum for general discussions that aren't relevant to any of our other forums.
Amtath
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Shraun Amtath

Re: WLAN Cards

Post by Amtath »

Tym wrote:I know its a bit late but nobody answered the question (o:
so USB (talking 1.1/2.0 the most common) vs PCI. Always choose PCI over USB whenever possible its almost three times as fast (theoretically) as USB. Even thou the speed of connection doesnt really matter (since you will not be reaching the limit with WIFI with either) more important is the fact that most USB devices are inferior to PCI devices from the standpoint of durability and quality of parts used in most cases.

With the WIFI take care about not having the antenna surrounded by a lot of wires = lots of interference especially if you dont have the router in the next room. When necessary you can get an extension cord for WIFI antenna and put the antenna somewhere with less interefence (read less wires).
I will add that with USB you tend to have way more micro loss of signal. And there is also Wifi cards on PCI Express slot. And not all cards have the same quality. Three antennas tend to have a better signal reception.

And for the speed variation, the laptop has probably a N certification and the tower has a B or G.

And for my specs:

- Case: Lian Li PC-X2000
- Power Supply: Seasonic X-Series 750 Watt
- CPU: Intel Core i7 930 @ Stock Speed
- Motherboard: Asus Rampage III Extreme
- Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
- RAM: 6 Gb DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT PC12800
- Graphics: Geforce 8800 GTX
- Sound: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
- Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player LG CH08LS10
- Hard Drive: Intel X25-M 80 Gb "PostVille" (for Windows 7), Western Digital VelociRaptor 300 Gb (for games), Western Digital VelociRaptor 150 Gb (for Music & data), Seagate Barracuda LP 2 Tb (for Video) & Seagate 7200.10 250 Gb (for Download)
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training"
Shraun Amtath - Jedi Knight
"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price."
Friesian
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Xru

Post by Friesian »

And where do you all put the datacron?

I have been saving some money last 18 months, not easy when on welfare. Around launch I will buy myself a new PC. Yeah, but of course no alienware, hehe.
What i going to buy is a mystery for me too. Kinda wait for recommendet specs then only minimum.

I cannot buildone cause technics somehow doesnot go well with my brain. I also too scared and i havenot read the manual "Pc buiding for dummies".

SSD drive sounds nice. Is it ony for windows or can you start SWTOR form it also and benefit from it?
Wlan is always in a desktop and i never used wireless. Better stick to that.
Yoonbak Onath
SWTOR Characters: Yoonbak Onath

Post by Yoonbak Onath »

Amtath wrote:And for my specs:

- Case: Lian Li PC-X2000
- Power Supply: Seasonic X-Series 750 Watt
- CPU: Intel Core i7 930 @ Stock Speed
- Motherboard: Asus Rampage III Extreme
- Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
- RAM: 6 Gb DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT PC12800
- Graphics: Geforce 8800 GTX
- Sound: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
- Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player LG CH08LS10
- Hard Drive: Intel X25-M 80 Gb "PostVille" (for Windows 7), Western Digital VelociRaptor 300 Gb (for games), Western Digital VelociRaptor 150 Gb (for Music & data), Seagate Barracuda LP 2 Tb (for Video) & Seagate 7200.10 250 Gb (for Download)
That's...sick...dude :0
Happy for you though ^^ What kind of monitor do you use?
Yoonbak Onath Shadow - Defensive Combat - Synthweaver Tank
Yobem Onath Scoundrel - Close/Medium Range Combat - Musician - Materials Smuggler DPS
Yehnai Guardian - Form V Perfectionist DPS
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Zenkutsu wrote:1TB Solid State Hard Drive? Did you win the lotto or something?
They aren't that expensive.
Zenkutsu
Ex-member

Post by Zenkutsu »

JenDoon wrote:
Last time I looked they were 3 grand or so? You could build 3 very good PCs for that.
Amtath
Ex-member

Post by Amtath »

Friesian wrote:I cannot buildone cause technics somehow doesnot go well with my brain. I also too scared and i havenot read the manual "Pc buiding for dummies".

SSD drive sounds nice. Is it ony for windows or can you start SWTOR form it also and benefit from it?
You can benefit from the SSD for anything. It's the price that's make it for now, mostly used only for Windows. If you take a higher storage capacity, you could install TOR on it. Around the 100 Gb line, I would say but you couldn't really put anything else on it. On a everyday use, the SSD is well more worth to put money on it than a super CPU, RAM, ... As the hard drives have been the bottleneck of performance for years. The SSD is the thing you will see the most notable changes with on a daily basis.

For building a PC, it's not that hard. I was uneasy as well the first time. It's overwhelming at first when you see the inside of a case, not knowing what all those cables do. When you start from scratch, you begin to see why everything is made so. Only tricky parts, I would say are putting the CPU on the motherboard and configuring the Bios. One simple rule is that everything needs to be connected to the motherboard and to the PSU. Ram doesn't apply the PSU rule & the graphic & sound cards depends on a case to case basis. A key is to chose a good case that is easy to work within it and a good modular PSU. And things like SATA have made it a lot easier no need for master/slave configuration.
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training"
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Zenkutsu wrote:
JenDoon wrote:
Last time I looked they were 3 grand or so? You could build 3 very good PCs for that.

eh?

http://www.ebuyer.com/241718-wd-1tb-3-5 ... b-wd10ealx
Amtath
Ex-member

Post by Amtath »

That's an ordinary Hard Disk Drive (HDD) not a Solid State Drive (SSD) ;)
Tym
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Tymran

Post by Tym »

I would just add to be aware that while SSD provides some nice performance boost they have somewhat bad habit to go haywire *waves to ocz*. So i would not store any data on them you mind losing. I think it was samsung who recently introduced SSDs which behaves like the cache (i dont mean hybrid HDD). It gives you the reliability of HDD with the speed of SSD. In my opinion thats the way of future.
Never tell me the odds!
Amtath
Ex-member

Post by Amtath »

HDD aren't that reliable either. They are way more prone to problems that SSD. The reliable HDD are far from cheap, something like 200 euros for 300 Gb. And bad series of HDD has been known also to exist. The HDD is by far the less reliable piece in a computer.

OCZ the problem, common to every SandForce chipset for Sata 3 SSD, are with the firmware.

And what you're talking is also an hybrid system. Just that the SSD & HDD parts are physically separate. And definitely not the way of the future, as the performance aren't equal to pure based SSD system. And more the gap in speed between SSD & HDD will grow, the less that would be a good idea. Because you can't cache everything. What that system allows is to have storage space and a faster access speed and not have the reliability of a HDD and speed of a SSD.

The storage capacity of the SSD will grow and slowly catch up. Because the bigger the HDD, the harder it gets and more error prone. The SSD technology becomes more mature.