System requirments? (Any tech guys here?)

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
Dargon
Ex-member

Re: System requirments? (Any tech guys here?)

Post by Dargon »

But just to clarify guys, do you think I could run it at launch with no intial problems like lag etc? I wouldn't mind switching to minimum graphics, I would just like to be able to do things such as PvP and Flashpoints without lagging? :D
Thanks all!
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Dargon wrote:But just to clarify guys, do you think I could run it at launch with no intial problems like lag etc? I wouldn't mind switching to minimum graphics, I would just like to be able to do things such as PvP and Flashpoints without lagging? :D
Thanks all!
I think you might struggle to avoid lag with that system, but for PvE you should be ok on low settings. I'm no expert though. Bioware have said they are making TOR to run on low end systems, so you should be ok as long as they optimize the bejesus out of the game.

Here is a side by side of low and high graphics settings. only thing that looks crap is the ground.

http://imgur.com/a/55cIo
Dargon
Ex-member

Post by Dargon »

JenDoon wrote:
Dargon wrote:But just to clarify guys, do you think I could run it at launch with no intial problems like lag etc? I wouldn't mind switching to minimum graphics, I would just like to be able to do things such as PvP and Flashpoints without lagging? :D
Thanks all!
I think you might struggle to avoid lag with that system, but for PvE you should be ok on low settings. I'm no expert though. Bioware have said they are making TOR to run on low end systems, so you should be ok as long as they optimize the bejesus out of the game.

Here is a side by side of low and high graphics settings. only thing that looks crap is the ground.

http://imgur.com/a/55cIo
Okay, which one would I better purchasing first? A graphics card, would that help reduce the lag problem the most? :)
Thanks,
Dargon.
Machior
Lieutenant
SWTOR Characters: Serra Lightblade

Post by Machior »

Seeing your other specs, I think that yes an upgrade GFX card wise would be the biggest impact (it usually is for most games, as it takes most of the processing power).
Dargon
Ex-member

Post by Dargon »

Machior wrote:Seeing your other specs, I think that yes an upgrade GFX card wise would be the biggest impact (it usually is for most games, as it takes most of the processing power).
Thanks, I'd probably just run it on Very Low with the graphics mostly as I would like to try and do PvP and Flashpoints so hopefully this will give me the oppertunity to! :]
Kensertim
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Kenser

Post by Kensertim »

I agree, you card would make the biggest impact for your system, if your MB can handle 2 video cards, keep in mind to look for a new card that can SLI, then as the cards drop in price you can pick up a second one pretty cheap .
Illegal is such a harsh word, sir

BadJawa
Ex-member

Post by BadJawa »

Wotcha everyone,
I have, in the past, had to make the most of any and all video settings.

Switch. Off. Shadows. They're a big hit to video card performance, and they're not particularly needed.

Draw distance can be your friend. Most MMOs run two video settings, one for "near" and one for "far". "Far" is defined as "outside the Draw Distance setting", and during the transition there is a hit to your video card performance. So, strangely enough, it can help your video card to set it as high as possible.

High Particle Effect settings do not like you. As you might imagine, heavy particle settings are designed to kill your frame rate.

Sync refresh rates to your desktop. Two refresh rates means two lots of work for your video card.

Constantly play around checking texture settings. Experiment a lot. Sometimes high character textures/detail won't cause a hit to your video card, sometimes it will (it all depends on the game).

Avoid anti-aliasing like it's a tramp on heat.

Make sure your *all* of your drivers are up to date. Yes, you need to squeeze all of the speed out of your system that you can. That means not just up-to-date video drivers, but sound, monitor, and motherboard chipset drivers. Trust me, they all help. Especially monitor drivers (also use Windows Update; that occasionally has monitor/video updates too).

Cheers,
Hawley.
Subtlety is for other people.
Malgunn
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Malgunn

Post by Malgunn »

BadJawa wrote: Avoid anti-aliasing like it's a tramp on heat.
Fantastic explanation... the quote above nearly made me spit out my tea...!

Malgunn Galazin
Smuggler ¦ Scoundrel ¦ Trader

SMUGGLERS: Don’t go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path. . . and leave a burning trail
Malgunn
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Malgunn

Post by Malgunn »

Id also add that these days there is really no need for duel graphics cards... SLI was a good option but with the release of DDR3/5 cards its an outdated build.

also if your going to be running a resolution of 1400x900 or lower go with a min of 512mb ....anything at 1650x1050 and over get a min of 1gig...

Radeon do a nice HD4xxx range that will knock the ass out of swtor...

Malgunn Galazin
Smuggler ¦ Scoundrel ¦ Trader

SMUGGLERS: Don’t go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path. . . and leave a burning trail
Dargon
Ex-member

Post by Dargon »

BadJawa wrote:Wotcha everyone,
I have, in the past, had to make the most of any and all video settings.

Switch. Off. Shadows. They're a big hit to video card performance, and they're not particularly needed.

Draw distance can be your friend. Most MMOs run two video settings, one for "near" and one for "far". "Far" is defined as "outside the Draw Distance setting", and during the transition there is a hit to your video card performance. So, strangely enough, it can help your video card to set it as high as possible.

High Particle Effect settings do not like you. As you might imagine, heavy particle settings are designed to kill your frame rate.

Sync refresh rates to your desktop. Two refresh rates means two lots of work for your video card.

Constantly play around checking texture settings. Experiment a lot. Sometimes high character textures/detail won't cause a hit to your video card, sometimes it will (it all depends on the game).

Avoid anti-aliasing like it's a tramp on heat.

Make sure your *all* of your drivers are up to date. Yes, you need to squeeze all of the speed out of your system that you can. That means not just up-to-date video drivers, but sound, monitor, and motherboard chipset drivers. Trust me, they all help. Especially monitor drivers (also use Windows Update; that occasionally has monitor/video updates too).

Cheers,
Hawley.
I believe I am up to date, didn't even know I could update my monitor? :lol:
Malgunn wrote:Id also add that these days there is really no need for duel graphics cards... SLI was a good option but with the release of DDR3/5 cards its an outdated build.

also if your going to be running a resolution of 1400x900 or lower go with a min of 512mb ....anything at 1650x1050 and over get a min of 1gig...

Radeon do a nice HD4xxx range that will knock the ass out of swtor...
Okay, thanks for all the help guys, Kaetha recommended http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/graphics ... on-hd-5450. Reckon it'll do me? I think it might, my only doubt there is that it says "No good for gaming"?
Thanks all,
Dargon.