Death in roleplaying

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
Kiel Barat
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Kiel Barat

Death in roleplaying

Post by Kiel Barat »

It's The Weekly Practical Question by Kiel -time again!

Right, again a question that some of you might find perfectly clear but something I personally find interesting.

Death.

In terms of roleplaying, how does one usually handle death in a MMO? I'm used to, while playing tabletop, expect that the imagination of our GM usually gets us out of certain-death experiences, but is death handlel in-game?

Obviously if a single character, or two for that matter, collapses during a quest it can easily be considered as fatique kicking in and the character collapsing from the physical stress. But what happens when the entire party gets wiped out and need to respawn to the dungeon door or even a "graveyard"? Is there even much point in trying to explain something like that in terms of roleplaying?
Zenkutsu
Ex-member

Re: Death in roleplaying

Post by Zenkutsu »

Perhaps treat it as injured and forced to retreat? With appropriate scars possibly..
Machior
Lieutenant
SWTOR Characters: Serra Lightblade

Post by Machior »

I believe (from what I have read/seen) so far from SWTOR is that they already help you in this respect. You can be resurrected on the spot by a medical droid or something, or else you get transported to a medical facilities (also apparently by droids, not sure if visual).

I know some guilds used to treat it as if they had "dreamt" it and awoke on the dungeon's entrance. However I do believe it doesn't really matter that much to make a big point of it. After all we are not a strict heavy roleplay guild that need to explain everything.
We tend to hang a bit more toward the light RP touch (meaning we do expect members to roleplay their characters in public channels at least, and try to do their best to stay in character, but not everything needs to be in full RP mode all the time).
Yogash
Ex-member

Post by Yogash »

you become 'unconscious' and you are then 'resuscitated' so you never 'die'.
'I'm like a leaf on the wind...watch how i soar'
(how to fly Serenity)
“A Trooper doesn’t get tired…he just reloads”
'We're coming....and we're bringing GUNS'
'two words - massive cannon. I got it - you don't'
Kaetha
Founder
SWTOR Characters: Kaetha Amathi

Post by Kaetha »

As Yogash said you become unconscious. However if you wanted to officially kill off your character I don't see why you couldn't. though it's a very final decision that one.
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Yeah for RP purposes, we're either going to have to go the KO route, for general questing together, and perhaps for big events.. we might use the cloning route, which is viable, I think.

I DON'T DIE TIL I SAY SO!
pata
Old-timer

Post by pata »

One question about cloning route. How does the memory restoring work in star wars universe?
Xoana (shadow)
Mortel (scoundrel)
Sennera (sage)
Grao-tak/Grao (gunslinger/vanguard)
Botond (guardian)
Lirian (commando)
Jázmin (sentinel)
Kensertim
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Kenser

Post by Kensertim »

Hey I saw the clone wars, i have like 3725 clones left, I'm not worried
Illegal is such a harsh word, sir

JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

pata wrote:One question about cloning route. How does the memory restoring work in star wars universe?
I'm not sure. What Im hoping we can agree on as a guild is that say, for big events if we want our character to take a serious hit, but not be utterly dead...we can have them die and be cloned...and of course they'd have no memory of the events of their death, their memories would go as far as when they last gave a cloning sample.

Probably simpler to just go the Knocked out route, and RP injury etc.
BadJawa
Ex-member

Post by BadJawa »

Wotcha everyone,

I'd say it's best to go with the game's explanation.

If you're only ever knocked unconscious and then revived by droids either at the site or in a medical station, then that's fine by me.

I want to role-play the heroic actions of an adventurer. I want to take on impossible odds, to go to strange faraway places.

What doesn't interest me is attempting to simulate real life to the point of having to spend time involved in various bodily functions (sorry, can't go to the flashpoint. I have to role-play having a poo) or having to create a new character every time I go afk due to a household emergency, and end up with some random mook eating my character's face off.

Yes, I'm a bad role-player. I only want to be involved in the fun exciting stuff.

Cheers,
Hawley.
Subtlety is for other people.