Death in roleplaying

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
Kiel Barat
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Kiel Barat

Re: Death in roleplaying

Post by Kiel Barat »

BadJawa wrote:Wotcha everyone,

I'd say it's best to go with the game's explanation.

If you're only ever knocked unconscious and then revived by droids either at the site or in a medical station, then that's fine by me.

I want to role-play the heroic actions of an adventurer. I want to take on impossible odds, to go to strange faraway places.

What doesn't interest me is attempting to simulate real life to the point of having to spend time involved in various bodily functions (sorry, can't go to the flashpoint. I have to role-play having a poo) or having to create a new character every time I go afk due to a household emergency, and end up with some random mook eating my character's face off.

Yes, I'm a bad role-player. I only want to be involved in the fun exciting stuff.

Cheers,
Hawley.
Have you ever seen anyone take a poo in Star Wars? Exactly. I think humanity finally managed to find a way.

Besides, the only things that happen in Star Wars are fun and exciting!
Yogash
Ex-member

Post by Yogash »

All trooper armour comes with internal plumbing...
'I'm like a leaf on the wind...watch how i soar'
(how to fly Serenity)
“A Trooper doesn’t get tired…he just reloads”
'We're coming....and we're bringing GUNS'
'two words - massive cannon. I got it - you don't'
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

LoL, I agree with you Hawley. Some people though do enjoy taking a dirtnap, it's like RP realism for them, especially if they half die for the team.
Zenkutsu
Ex-member

Post by Zenkutsu »

You've started me thinking of ways to roleplay having a poo now. Thanks for that.

*returns to the room and sits down with a contented sigh..*
Xantos Hawkin
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Xantos Hawkin

Post by Xantos Hawkin »

BadJawa wrote:Wotcha everyone,

I'd say it's best to go with the game's explanation.

If you're only ever knocked unconscious and then revived by droids either at the site or in a medical station, then that's fine by me.

I want to role-play the heroic actions of an adventurer. I want to take on impossible odds, to go to strange faraway places.

What doesn't interest me is attempting to simulate real life to the point of having to spend time involved in various bodily functions (sorry, can't go to the flashpoint. I have to role-play having a poo) or having to create a new character every time I go afk due to a household emergency, and end up with some random mook eating my character's face off.

Yes, I'm a bad role-player. I only want to be involved in the fun exciting stuff.

Cheers,
Hawley.
Spot on Hawley, this sure is both the easiest and best way to go when it comes to handling these sort of questions in game. Getting to technincal on things like death and memory when cloning might be more of an irritating thing then fun simple roleplaying and gaming.
Slide
Quartermaster
SWTOR Characters: Slide, Myreen
SteamID: Slidemoon
PSN Username: slidemoon
Xbox Live Gamertag: Slide Moon

Post by Slide »

Aside from how the game world affects your character, one of the unwritten rules of roleplaying in MMO's is:

no player, except yourself, can decide what happens to your character.

This means that, when you're roleplaying a fight with another player, they can decide they're going for a lethal attack, but you decide if that attack kills your character or not. If your character dies because of this, it's your decision. This doesn't happen often, obviously, but it happens, probably more with alts than mains. In a fictitious setting like Star Wars, you could stretch it and go for Force resurrection, but that could be found tacky.
So if your character goes down, it's up to you to decide if he's dead, or merely wounded and/or unconscious.

I'm new to forum roleplay, but this rule seems to apply here as well. It's regarded as fair.

"Nice pants. Where you got them, Tightooine?"

Myreen - Guardian - damage dealer
Slide - Scoundrel - damage dealer
Jacynn - Vanguard - Tank
Zyall - Juggernaut - damage dealer
Nekxyu
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Seph & Qorr

Post by Nekxyu »

I'd figured this would work exactly like Slide said. And this is definitely something I'd consider, no matter which character. Of course, I'd try to make the death as memorable as possible, but when it's time to go, it's time to go.

I personally believe that the point of entertainment is not to make people feel happy or anything like that, it's just plainly to make them feel something. Happiness, sorrow, anger, envy; the whole range.

I've always had a hardline habit of never being afraid of killing off characters in my stories. It's also what I enjoy most in entertainment; knowing that an author is afraid of killing off his characters destroys all the suspense you'd have when you genuinely don't know if they're going to pull through.

Also, a well done death scene can just be utterly amazing; the high point of the entire story in a lot of cases. The time you remember most. I'd give examples, but don't want to spoil anyone.

And who am I to deny others that? xD

You may anticipate at some point that at least one of my characters will most likely die a poignant final death. It'll probably be something I've got planned well in advance (and no, I'll not tell you! :D)
A forum post should be like a skirt;
long enough to cover the subject material,
but short enough to keep things interesting.

RIP Seph
Friesian
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Xru

Post by Friesian »

Those with deep contact in the Force already know...