PvP and roleplayers...

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
Nemene
Registered
SWTOR Characters: Nemene Tedronai

Re: PvP and roleplayers...

Post by Nemene »

Will spam when I get home :)
█╬╬╬╬()╬█Ξ██████████████████████████████████)
There is nothing new, except what has been forgotten.
(██████████████████████████████████Ξ█╬()╬╬╬╬█
Kiel Barat
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Kiel Barat

Post by Kiel Barat »

I'm all for PvP, RP server or not. Generally I do prefer keeping my PvP under controlled condition, that is within a warfront, arena or whatever the name of the area. Actual PvP servers just have way too many wankers who have nothing better to do than hunt for characters who are considerably weaker than them. And for me, that's not the point or the fun-factor of PvP.

Really looking forward to seeing how to tie it together with the RP aspect, but regardless I'm usually in if you need an extra hand in PvP. It's especially fun if you can actually get most of the team behind a chat tool. It gives a huge edge.
Amtath
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Shraun Amtath

Post by Amtath »

Having been on a PVP Server for many years, and world pvp is more a pain than anything else. Some areas are ganking zones, forget questing there when that happens. Rarely a fair fight, most of the time, you get attacked when you're already fighting. Or when you're clearly the strongest, you then get attacked by a max level. Overcrowded areas turns into a nightmare between the adds, the repop & the enemies.
I think that TOR will have zones that will be world pvp if you enters them. That system I'm ok with it. If you don't feel pvping you don't go there. Or if you flag yourself.
PVP relies too much on other players behavior. And from what I have seen on the official forum, for some ganking and camping is totally RP Ok.
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training"
Shraun Amtath - Jedi Knight
"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price."
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

I'm a pretty experienced PvP'er, though roleplay is my first love.

As soon as I'm able I'll do classes on PvP ( I think I have a thread about it here somewhere). There is alot we don't know about the game, but in terms of tactics...PvP is rather predictable and there are ways of working together and using the terrain that can be applied to any MMO.

We will be victorious!
Yogash
Ex-member

Post by Yogash »

I have only pvped in WoW so i can't say for certain but my impression is that they have done something special for tanks in pvp in that they can act like tanks and get rewarded for it...taking the aggro and the damage from others and so on.
'I'm like a leaf on the wind...watch how i soar'
(how to fly Serenity)
“A Trooper doesn’t get tired…he just reloads”
'We're coming....and we're bringing GUNS'
'two words - massive cannon. I got it - you don't'
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Yogash wrote:I have only pvped in WoW so i can't say for certain but my impression is that they have done something special for tanks in pvp in that they can act like tanks and get rewarded for it...taking the aggro and the damage from others and so on.
Yeah, same for healers. Every point of healing you do gets you rewards and titles.

"Jen'doon, Love Doctor"
Friesian
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Xru

Post by Friesian »

[quote="JenDoon" Jen'doon, Love Doctor"[/quote]

Mmm, only the female versions i think...

Players dedicating there time just stand there and heal us who have fun slaughter all, are heroes for me. They sometimes get some extra from me.
Xantos Hawkin
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Xantos Hawkin

Post by Xantos Hawkin »

I read through like half the thread before I got sick of reading. Been reading these forums so much to try and catch up, that my eyes are probobly going to pop out or start bleeding any second.

Anyway! Back on topic, I totally agree with the Doon in his original post. I have always been a heavy hitter in PvP in MMOs. At the same time I have also always been a huge fan of roleplaying and always sought out roleplaying guilds and people on servers I have played on. I personally have always thought that PvP is more fun the PvE is because you fight acctually other human beings, able to vary their movements, their tactics and you can often see people change their play style and approach if you beat them once. Which in turn forces you to start thinking and to act fast to counter their new tactics. All in all what I am trying to say is that I find PvP much more challenging and competative which is why I find it much much much more fun!

I think PvE gets very repetative after taking down a boss for a few times. After the first time you know how it is to be done, then you just farm the place. I don't like either the repetative part about it or the need of putting down hours just for one instance or raid. Having that said I still enjoy PvEing very much as well. Just I don't like to do it the same amount as PvP.

I really hope to be able to do both with you guys. But this is also my main concern with this guild and the server we might end up on, the lack of PvP.
Machior
Lieutenant
SWTOR Characters: Serra Lightblade

Post by Machior »

I don't think you need to be worried on the lack of PvP part really Xantos. Yes, we won't be playing on a PvP server (which imho is just a ganking server more then actual PvP) but there are still ingame areas where you will be able to PvP like the warzones and all that which are specifically made for it.
From what I can gather from all the information so far, the game is very similar in most of this setup in regards to WoW really.
Friesian
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Xru

Post by Friesian »

I think SWTOR is very good for PVP and roelplay. Dont think you need worry about lack of Empire cannon fodder on rp pve server. They probably outnumber republican in first months. the pvp-rp server will also become just a pvp server i think after first month or so with like M said....

I will join whenever i can, needed in pvp and try rp. But i am not good in pvp, more or less due one eye i see with. so i will be hiding a lot.
I dont see my character play Huttball a lot .....lol