PvP and roleplayers...

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
JenDoon
Ex-member

PvP and roleplayers...

Post by JenDoon »

Classically, most people assume if you are a roleplayer, then you either suck at PvP or just don't like it.

I'm interested in changing that idea with TKM.

For one, as a roleplayer, no matter which profession you choose in TOR, we know you're going to be the best of the best. So an uber Jedi Master or a veteran Trooper or a legendary Smuggler.

How can anyone roleplay being a Jedi Master/knight (for example) when they can't back up that roleplay with actual skills or combat effectiveness? I experienced this in Starwars galaxies, with people saying they were a jedi Master but not being able to hold their own, or even stand toe to toe with other professions and it causes them problems in RP, because when they got beaten up they'd have to include that in their RP.

I'd love to hear some feedback!
Nemene
Registered
SWTOR Characters: Nemene Tedronai

Re: PvP and roleplayers...

Post by Nemene »

I can see your point but personally, I hate PvP. It just seems so pointless and well, boring; if there's a certain item or something that you can only get via PvP, then I'll do it out of necessity but hate every second of it. I lump it into the same category as those ridiculous games where you just wander around shooting people for no apparent reason, yawn.

The time I'm going to have available to play the game is only going to become more and more limited over the next few years and so if using what little time to do stuff I enjoy means taking a hit to my leet RPer points, then I'm totally okay with that :)
█╬╬╬╬()╬█Ξ██████████████████████████████████)
There is nothing new, except what has been forgotten.
(██████████████████████████████████Ξ█╬()╬╬╬╬█
Yoonbak Onath
SWTOR Characters: Yoonbak Onath

Post by Yoonbak Onath »

I couldn't agree more, Jen.

I think PvP in TOR looks very exciting, and I will definately strive to let my character be reasonably capable according to the RP. I have very limited experience with PvP in MMOs, that being a tiny bit during my SWG days. But I know I really enjoy the challenge of having to find a new tactic/skill combo to get on top of the game. Never got tired of loading the same save dozens of times during ME2 insanity playthrough.
I hope to start PvPing with Yoonbak early, because in order to learn tactics and combos, you have to die (or "get beaten") a lot, which doesn't suite a fully grown (leveled) character that well. Lucky Yoonbak is a little overconfident when it comes to taking on (read: tanking) too many foes at once :)
Can't wait to set up stories that lead into warzones for example ^^

I hope and assume that PvP in TOR won't be like what I've heard it is in WoW - 10-second fights that are determined after only 2 secs. And Bioware is saying it's gonna take time to take eachother down in TOR.
Yoonbak Onath Shadow - Defensive Combat - Synthweaver Tank
Yobem Onath Scoundrel - Close/Medium Range Combat - Musician - Materials Smuggler DPS
Yehnai Guardian - Form V Perfectionist DPS
Magnox
Registered

Post by Magnox »

Roleplay or not, Magnox as a character or myself as a person, Both have the same values! Be the best you can be!

I will see you in the Warzones, World PvP, and all operations! The Sith will cower at the thought of the shoot first attitude of Magnox, the only thing faster than his pistols is his mouth.

See you there Doon! lets hope you live up to the stories, thats how you become a legend ...

..."Like Me" :P
Jens Jutoon
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Jens Jutoon (JJ)

Post by Jens Jutoon »

I've never been in an MMO yet where I have enjoyed PVP. Maybe SWTOR will be different, but I doubt it. I love to quest, explore and enjoy the story of an MMO. I'm not into uber items or weapons, so to be honest I have no need to PVP. I can very easily RP in an MMO without ever having to take part in PVP. My time in game is limited also, so I tend to stick to what I enjoy, and leave PVP to those that enjoy it.

I'm not saying I won't try it and see what it has to offer, but I doubt I'll like it. Hope I'm wrong though.

Jens Jutoon - Gunslinger
Jen'ju - Jedi Knight
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Magnox wrote:Roleplay or not, Magnox as a character or myself as a person, Both have the same values! Be the best you can be!

I will see you in the Warzones, World PvP, and all operations! The Sith will cower at the thought of the shoot first attitude of Magnox, the only thing faster than his pistols is his mouth.

See you there Doon! lets hope you live up to the stories, thats how you become a legend ...

..."Like Me" :P

Yeah, I'll be fine dude...already a legend on jen'doon.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44 ... losion.jpg

Much to learn you still have!

I mean this..not the above one!

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44 ... ot1903.jpg
Hooknose
Registered

Post by Hooknose »

I'll undoubtedly find myself meddling in PvP at some point in the game. I love team play type PvP games like capture the flag and such, I'm not much for dueling. I prefer to keep my PvP separate from RP though.

On WoW class balancing through patches would allow everyone to be able to kill everyone at some point or another simply because their class got a huge buff. It simply wouldn't make sense to me killing the greatest of warriors one day and getting killed in a single blow by every padawan out of pre-school the next day.
"I aint got time to die!"
Slide
Quartermaster
SWTOR Characters: Slide, Myreen
SteamID: Slidemoon
PSN Username: slidemoon
Xbox Live Gamertag: Slide Moon

Post by Slide »

I like PvP, but I'm far from into it as the average PvPer. As a result, I usually find myself under geared. Also, if it gets frustrating, I tend to quit. Also, I tend to get my arse kicked, which isn't tight.

Usually, I find a way to enjoy it, even if my side isn't winning.
Oh, yeah. I'm one of those IC PvP players. I like to throw silly comments around. That's one of the reasons the Smuggler class appeals to me. They can afford to be silly because no-one expects them to be all serious.
If you're being silly and you kick arse, that's über-tight!

"Nice pants. Where you got them, Tightooine?"

Myreen - Guardian - damage dealer
Slide - Scoundrel - damage dealer
Jacynn - Vanguard - Tank
Zyall - Juggernaut - damage dealer
Yoonbak Onath
SWTOR Characters: Yoonbak Onath

Post by Yoonbak Onath »

One of the things about SWTOR that sounds so great, is that PvP relies very little on gear. In RP it seems very backwards to wear something only for it's stats for example, or weild some weapon only because of its DPS. At least for me, my character doesn't know about any gear before he gets it or hears about it from other characters in RP. Even then it'll have to "make sense" for the char to wear/weild it.

Gear maxing and "cookie-cutter builds" just sounds like the antidote for RP to me, or at least like a major hindrance to get around. But then again, I've yet to try ingame RP at all.

Can't wait to PvP with you Slide, sounds so much fun to stay in char in PvP, imagine the guild/ally Operations, Flashpoints etc!
Yoonbak Onath Shadow - Defensive Combat - Synthweaver Tank
Yobem Onath Scoundrel - Close/Medium Range Combat - Musician - Materials Smuggler DPS
Yehnai Guardian - Form V Perfectionist DPS
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

I used to /bow to people in PvP when I killed them.

: )