PvP and roleplayers...

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
Xantos Hawkin
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Xantos Hawkin

Re: PvP and roleplayers...

Post by Xantos Hawkin »

Machior wrote:I don't think you need to be worried on the lack of PvP part really Xantos. Yes, we won't be playing on a PvP server (which imho is just a ganking server more then actual PvP) but there are still ingame areas where you will be able to PvP like the warzones and all that which are specifically made for it.
From what I can gather from all the information so far, the game is very similar in most of this setup in regards to WoW really.
What you say is true, I already tried out some of the warzones myself acctually ;) The thing is, that on servers that are RP-PvE you usually don't find that much people intressted in PvP at all. Brining the action in PvP areas sometimes to very low levels or making waiting times for PvP minigames, arenas, warzones, etc, very long. That is my concern. Not the acctually setup with a PvE server. I don't mind if it's not possible to kill enemies whenever I see them, even if I would like to. The general lack of intresst of PvP is what worries me.
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

I think in TOR, we'll see a much higher proportion of the roleplaying population get involved in PvP because of the story elements and profession balance.

Warzones are story and objective based, which is roleplay friendly. They are also evenly matched in terms of numbers.

Every Sith Empire profession has its exact mirror on the republic side, almost power for power and skill for skill. Not only does this mean more balance in PvP, but it also means we as a guild can train against each other, and that training will show us how to beat Sith empire players.

Learn to beat a smuggler, you know how to beat an imperial agent. Understand the weaknesses of a consular sage, you know the same ones for the Sith inquisitor.

I know there are people like myself and Xantos who'll be roleplaying and PvP'ing alot, plus I have it on good authority the lads from Consorts of Bakura are avid PvP roleplayers.

We are gonna train together and then unleash death from above! :geek:
Xantos Hawkin
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Xantos Hawkin

Post by Xantos Hawkin »

Sounds like a solid plan Doon! Nice to hear that the Consorts are into the kicking Sith players butts as well ;)
Sunus
Ex-member

Post by Sunus »

In previous MMO's I usually only engaged PvP battle if there was a reward I really wanted, or is it was questrelated. I'm usually too much of an exploror-type person to go worrying if there's someone better at playing my class than me. Only times I've cared to actively improve my PvP skills were when it would help out the guild as a whole.

That being said, it's going to be interesting to see what PvP in SWToR is gonna be like. Prehaps pvp'ing with friends is funnier than pvping in random groups (draded be "Arathi Basin" teams...).
"A Trooper dosn't get tired, he just reloads" - Charles Boyd, tOR/Bioware writer
# 1666: "If if takes more than five minutes for the debris to stop falling, I need to pick a smaller gun."
Cheesey
Ex-member

Post by Cheesey »

I've roleplayed in many MMOs and Ive pvped in some that were mainly rvr centric ie Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer:online (both from early alpha builds until recently). But I always had trouble doing both RP and PvP at same time.

PvPing while roleplaying is ,dare I say it, too slow (if done through the power of typing lol).

I dont particularly like pvp though in most MMOs.Its all epeen nonsense usually and pvp servers with ffs is just a no no.

Sometimes its fun though and i'd rather do it in guild groups than pug's.Many an hour i spent running around with guildies while doing DAoC/WAR .

Have to say from my limited knowledge of SWTOR PvP via forums and trailers, I do not rate it much. It looks a bit too arena type and doesn't fit in the story very well.The Huffball(sp?) looks ridiculous imho.

For my *pvp* kicks I prefer a good FPS where I can log if I get nerd rage lol.
Left guild because I joined light Rp guild and not what I class as as heavy RP guild . Cant be doing with OP and flashpoints IC sorry.
Plus I was sure it was called The Kestrel Minority and not JenDoons Ego.
BadJawa
Ex-member

Post by BadJawa »

Wotcha everyone,

Hawley's guide to surviving PvP goes something like this:

Just because you role-play, doesn't make you a pushover. Lots of people think that role-players don't know how to PvP. They think you spend all your time in the tavern, emoting about how much you like flowers, and rabbits, and how the tone of the place has gone down recently. But we play the same game they do; we just make more of it.

Duelling is for Duelists. Don't duel, fight. I will admit, I can't duel to save my (character's) life. I'm rubbish at it. I never run the right spec, I never press the right buttons at the right time. In a one-on-one situation, I prefer my enemy to be afk. Asleep. And on the toilet. But then again, I don't duel. I hang around as part of a gang, and a gang going into PvP and playing as a gang rather than a bunch of individuals is scarily effective.

You play to your strengths, so we can play to ours. Tied to the earlier point. If you're a healer? Keep the damage boys* up so they can do what they do best. Chucking out damage? Do so, especially if it means getting free pops at enemy damage boys** who are trying to take out your mate the healer.

Macro is your friend. No, I don't mean the World of Warcraft macro'd-up-one-click-gaming, I mean macro-ing a few useful and oft-used emotes and statements. Battlecries. Shouts. Quick commands. All of them mean a few second's typing is just a single click.

Don't forget why you're there. No, not just "fun", or "winning", but remembering what the stated aims of the battleground are. Don't get caught up in trying to get kills, because straight killing is rarely the way to win a round in any game nowadays. Defend objectives in domination games, or your own flag in capture the flag; I find it much more fun to let the fight come to you, as it means you also get to role-play in the quiet bits.

Think "Shark". Yes, think like something that's not needed to evolve for the last few million years because it's already the apex predator. Don't give your enemy an honourable chance; they won't give you one. Look for the weak, the separated, the sorta stupid-looking; kill them. And then look for the next victim.

Cheers,
Hawley.

* In the interests of gender equality, please read as "girls".

** No, honest. Girls too.
Subtlety is for other people.
Cheesey
Ex-member

Post by Cheesey »

I'm with you on duels. I'm totally crud at them. I prefer gang related pvp too lol

Yesh RP doesn't mean crap pvp, its just that pvpers generally dont know how to RP etc. so they think if you are Rper you aren't pvper etc.. They think you if you are a rper then you will try to RP during pvp which isn't easy, though might be immensely fun done right :D
Left guild because I joined light Rp guild and not what I class as as heavy RP guild . Cant be doing with OP and flashpoints IC sorry.
Plus I was sure it was called The Kestrel Minority and not JenDoons Ego.
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Duels are great with friends to learning the specifics of other professions.