Everyman Sleeping Schedule - An account

Forum for general discussions that aren't relevant to any of our other forums.
Nekxyu
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Seph & Qorr

Re: Everyman Sleeping Schedule - An account

Post by Nekxyu »

JenDoon wrote:I feel this is only for young people or those without families. Still, if I get into the TOR beta I'll be doing this without any plan!
I point out that the main purveyor of these blogs and polyphasic sleeping is a married woman of 30, with kids.
MachineSp1rit wrote:Hmm I'm intrigued actually, I may even come up with a presentation about this for the uni (can I include you as a research object? :D) if all of this is as real as you say it is. Either way I'll be following your posts very intensely.

With that said, could you link some of your favorite articles? It's it's from a science magazine (or a med journal) that would be golden.
Sure, include me as much as you want. I'll want copies of what you hand in that pertains to me, though! That would be interesting and fun to read :P

As for articles? There's a bunch of really good stuff at the blog I linked above. Otherwise, not much research has been done.

There has been published one particularly bad document about why polyphasic sleeping does not work. Shredded to pieces here.

As for the scientific experiments I cited, I will admit that I have been told about them second-hand. I'll do my best to track them down, though. I do believe I recall reading it somewhere once. Hmm. *ponders*
A forum post should be like a skirt;
long enough to cover the subject material,
but short enough to keep things interesting.

RIP Seph
Terrog
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Terrog Vedkenis

Post by Terrog »

Okay, I however must say that I can not attend to that now. But If I do decide to, it will be done no later than early summer, but not much earlier either as I am the master of postponing work that can be postponed. But I will of course hand everything I make to you and ask for your permission before publishing anything regarding yourself. This is all just an idea though so let's not get excited :lol:

I must add however that all this sounds quite cool.
Nekxyu
Ex-member

Post by Nekxyu »

Day two log. Overall, quite drab and boring, I suppose. But meh, keeping log. It's only getting worse from here. Supposedly days 3-5 are the worst, sleep-dep wise, until you start coming back around.

---

Everyman Day 2 – 10/10/2011

16:57

Woke up from my nap 10 minutes ago. I feel very tired, and could definitely sleep some more. I am slowly becoming more awake than I was before the nap, helped along by some lovely dubstep (Equinox – First of the Year by Skrillex). Half an hour to an hour prior to the nap, I started becoming more sleazy – that has been alleviated for now, though I could still sleep. Perhaps my body is already getting used to the idea of naps. Or perhaps I'm just a foolish optimist.

17:14

Feeling a lot fresher now.

18:04

Getting rather tired again. Hungry, too. Dinner's in 25 minutes.

22:00

Just woke up from a nap. I'm real tired, feeling like I could sleep for 10 hours straight. The feeling is slowly going away, however, and probably won't be with me for long. Most likely it will be back before I'm supposed to sleep in five hours.

Eating chocolate helps. Like against a dementor. Unfortunately I will run out of chocolate soon enough, at the rate I'm going. Did I just compare sleep-dep to a dementor? Feels appropriate...

23:40

Out of chocolate. Note to self tomorrow: get more chocolate. And tea. Out of tea too. And honey. To go with the tea. Yeah, it's a goddamn shopping list alright. Why are the shops closed right now? I got plenty of time.

Feeling slightly cranky.

Perhaps I should finish Amnesia? That will definitely keep me awake, at least.

RIP Seph
Halvy
Ex-member

Post by Halvy »

I'm barely ever awake when you guys are the way it is so i'm not going to sleep anymore than i already do. I go to bed between 10-12 PM (For me i'm five hours beheind this forums time) and get up at 7 AM for school every day. That's all the sleep i need to get my A's, go to practice, see girlfriend, my second practice, then come home to game for a couple hours. I don't have time for more sleep! It would all have to be put into between 8-10 at night. lol
Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted.
Nekxyu
Ex-member

Post by Nekxyu »

Halvy, this is all about LESS sleep. Instead of spending 8-10 hours sleeping, I am instead spending four. So far? Not easy.

---

Everyman Day 3 – 11/10/2011

My friend took a bath instead. I just made do with a small walk around the campus in the err, morning darkness.

You know, when I walked I noticed this: usually when you think of something that you want or are going to or could do, you'll get some kind of vision in your head of it; some representation of it. Right now, no matter WHAT the subject, I find a representation of myself sleeping, that is, my brain teases me with the immense pleasure I could gain from sleeping. All of my pain would be gone. I would feel good. NO MATTER WHAT. Eating? Sleeping. Committing murder? Sleeping. Sleeping? Sleeping. Writing? Sleeping. Sleeping...

It takes a certain kind of constant, applied willpower to not sleep. It's not something you can deny any more by simply not taking a single conscious decision to reach that goal. You have to actively work against it without cease, or you will sleep, no matter where you are. Your brain is trying to make you sleep; it's confused, pissed, and it wants its REM sleep back.

Well, bitch, go get it during one my naps. I'm pissed too, and I'm taking back control of my sleeping life. I just wish I wouldn't be so goddamn sleepy!

Sleep deprivation is really horrible. Like really, really, cannot-imagine-it-if-you-haven't-tried-it horrible. Most people have perhaps been as tired as me. Very, very few of those people have had access to a highly comfortable place to sleep and the time to do it in. I do. That seems to lend it a whole new dimension.

I would skive off school, if I thought I could stay awake if I didn't go to school. Thank you, school. Wow, never thought I'd say that in that contect. ”Thank you, school, for helping me NOT SLEEP”

Usually, I'd quit. But this is a personal matter now. Pride demands that if I quit, I must have made some kind of progress first, or have a good outlying reason to quit. I must not quit because I wasn't made of stern enough stuff. That would hurt my pride.

Usually I'd think that pride was some kind of bad thing, useless at best, and in the way at worst. But right now I am finding it immensely useful.

Thank you, pride.

RIP Seph
Nekxyu
Ex-member

Post by Nekxyu »

Everyman Day 3 – 11/10/2011 – continued.

16:07

Another nap incoming soon. I'm starting to get a bit more tired, but really, it's nothing truly debilitating. This morning, as you can see above, I was extremely down. However, during the day I have been getting slowly better and better. In fact I wasn't tired at all around 10:00. I can feel that my body hasn't adjusted to the naps at all yet, though I actually succeeded for the first time in falling properly asleep during my nap at 11:10 today.

It's still being tired; I have that sense of fatigue at the back of my head – but it's not the same urgent sense of MUST SLEEP NOW that I had earlier today. I hope my morning experience will improve by, well, tomorrow.

17:02

That nap at 16:25 made me a lot more tired. I have to hold on til 21:40, though! Must not sleep!

19:35

I was briefly okay while eating at 18:30, but now I am becoming extremely, extremely tired. I cannot wait for my next nap!

21:00

So, I've been studying accounts of others experiences adapting to Everyman. Apparently people slip up a lot. I am now officially paranoid, and instituting some extremely evil wake-up schemes for myself, some of which I have been saving up for months. This morning I learned that when you really need sleep, you can almost convince yourself of anything. Your mind is your own worst enemy. (Didn't get me, did you, huh? Stupid brain ;D)

I am rather determined to make this work. I hate being proven wrong, so this will work, and there's a fact. And tomorrow morning I will utterly hate myself. Then I will read this and remember that I am at that time projecting my extremely tired personality upon my imagined future self, which is faulty logic. If I keep this up, the benefits will vastly outweigh the horrible, death-like feeling that I will currently be having. (Listen, damn you!)

My list includes:
  • Know thyself, and concordantly, brainwash thyself (step 1: above)
  • Triple alarm, all of them white noise at max volume, set 30 seconds apart. All of them hidden behind stuff at random places in room where I cannot reach them from bed. I should have just enough time to disarm one alarm as the next goes off, if I stay out of bed.
  • Take naps while holding bowl of cold water. Choose proper locations for nap. While I may get wet, the long-term benefits outweigh small things like that.
  • Have ”This Calling” by All That Remains ready for emergency one-click-play on loud volume. I really, really hate that track.
  • Clothes and jacket ready to hand, laid out for maximum zombie-mode efficiency.
And yes, I'm serious.

No. I don't trust myself. Why do you ask?

RIP Seph
Terrog
Ex-member

Post by Terrog »

I must say I admire your determination :lol:

Just don't bring out any Tyler Durdens just yet will you.
Nekxyu
Ex-member

Post by Nekxyu »

Everyman Day 4 – 12/10/2011

HUGE update. I believe I should get an experience bonus for character development.

06:15

I'm not gonna say much, except it's worse than yesterday. Youch. This is really rock bottom on day 4, like described in most blogs. Most people fail now. I certainly feel like it, but will not let myself.

I should point out, before the more condescending of you speak up (some already have :P), that I will stick with schedule so long as I am following the symptons described by the others on a rough timescale. If I do not experience some rejuvenation before the end of the first week, then my symptons are deviating enough for me to call a halt and say that I am honestly just not compatible with this stuff.

23:12

(This part gets quite personal, as I ponder and ponder the implications of today. I'm facing, or rather, faced some personal demons, here. I don't mind being open about stuff like this – in fact it's refreshing – but if you're like to feel unsettled, just don't read it. This is something that I have to put down on paper, to solidify it to myself – today was very important to me, personally.)

The naps are getting better, definitely. I got a lot more tired the immediate half hour before all of my naps today, though I've had bouts of tiredness in-between as well. I'm in the middle of one right now, trying to pull that last stretch towards the three-hour core at 3:00 AM that always crushes me so the next day.

So, on to the exciting stuff.

Today, I was extremely close to breaking. So very, very close. A hairs breadth from giving up. You really are your own worst enemy – when you are tired enough you can rationalize anything if you're not absurdly careful.

It was in class during the first hour, and I felt, quite frankly, as if I was dying. I kept having the sensation of falling backwards and down, spiraling. I was shivering, and feeling cold, and it took constant, hardcore effort to keep my eyelids even half open. It took all of my concentration to stay even barely awake. It feels very much like being extremely ill, except you're not weak in that fashion, and it comes and goes as your brain tries to find out what the hell you're doing. (I know that sounds like serious symptons, but it's all in the lists of how I should be feeling right now at this stage, so not really worried here.)

Desperate for sleep, my brain tried to push a devilish scheme upon me. It would even allow me to save face with my friends for failing. I'd go to the bathroom, saying I felt bad (quite true, though in a different). Then I'd spend a few minutes there, and go back, pretending to have vomited all over that place. I'm sick, I would have said. Sick with the flu, or somesuch. I certainly look ill enough already. And being sick is what everybody doing polyphasic sleep says is a sure-fire signal that you must sleep all you can. Now.

I did go to the bathroom. Tried to fake the effects of having thrown up. Then I paused, and thought, ”Really? This is fucking piss weak as hell, Tor.” It might allow me to save face with my friends, but it would not allow me to save face with myself. But eh, my brain noted seductively, turning my mind to other things, like pillows and unicorns, screw that.

I walked back up to the class fully intending to carry out my nefarious scheme, and just, just as I was about to open the door, I halt. And think. I stand there for a few minutes. That stretch into long minutes, as I realize and fully trail out the implications. I shiver slightly.

Use that bayesian utility stuff you've been reading so much about lately, I think to myself. This feels instinctually wrong, as if I'm forgetting something important. Think rationally, follow your actions through to their consequences.

The scheme wasn't nefarious, in that my mates wouldn't really lose or gain anything.

So, who would?

I certainly wouldn't gain anything; I'd be back to status quo pre-Everyman. I wasn't even at genuine physical risk, I knew exactly when to quit, if I got the signs.

I would, however, lose a lot. I would lose the effort I'd put in so far. I'd lose the potential to succeed at this and gain essentially 20% more life than the average person. But even that was small stuff; most of all, I'd genuinely lose my trust in my ability to control myself, my trust in myself. I'd lose faith in myself. And that was like, really fucking bad. I hadn't realized what kind of huge personal stakes I'd had in play here so far. And now I realized how close I had just gotten to really screwing myself over, grand style.

This is that final test of personality that I've been waiting for that I've given myself, without noticing it. The culmination of many a year of mental growth and maturation. And now there is no way back. I will lose, or I will win. And losing this trust in myself, that thought genuinely, really scares me. I've always had doubts about the real strength of my will, and decided that nothing but total control over myself will do. Anything less than that, and I am a slave of myself. But I've never known whether I had that control. To emphasize, there is only one thing I'm more afraid of than not having that control of myself, and that is death. Because there can be recovery from this in time, but there is no recovery from death.

But now is the time for the answer. I'm determined to make it the right one.

Okay, damnit, my brain conceded. You win.

Suddenly, I feel refreshed, and not that tired at all. In my head, my estimates of my chance at pulling through this entire ordeal increase vastly. I bounce happily into the classroom, suddenly full of energy.

Whew, I think to myself. Smart brain. Clever. That was way too close to the abyss for my taste. You almost had me. I decide to watch out especially for behavior like this again. It's deceptive and seductive, and extremely, extremely hard to resist.

But now I'll always have the knowledge of this, that thought, that awareness at the back of my head that my brain will have failed to calculate all the necessary information to make decisions this important. Never act on instinct in matters like this. This will help in the future.

I've often heard people describe just how horrible it is to stop smoking. And I thought that was silly. ”Can't you just stop?” I thought. ”It's that simple, isn't it?” Oh, how stupid you have been, boy. (And most like still am, in other ways. Don't get arrogant.)

Now, however, I figure it must be exactly like this is. And boy, I feel bad for all smokers out there.

Being in the middle of my awakening as a rationalist, I had failed to notice that I was, well, failing to notice my own confusion. And it is always true that your strength as a rationalist is your ability to be more confused by fiction than by reality. If you are equally good at explaining any outcome, you have zero knowledge.

I must never forget this basic tenet.

Note to self: Your debt to mister Eliezer Yudkowsky of Less Wrong just went up like, a hundredfold. Seriously unending gratitude there, for giving me the tools to deal with this and so many other things. For some things, saying thank you isn't really enough; I believe this is one of them.

The rest of the day went considerably easier, following this little internal piece of drama. All in all, I am in a very good mood.

Cheers.

RIP Seph
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Dude, you are like our very own biological explorer!

Win or lose, massive respect to you for trying this and posting so honestly about it.

Keep us informed. Who knows, we could make learning this stuff guild policy!

"if you need more than 4 hours of sleep a day....move along to a weaker guild!"
Terrog
Ex-member

Post by Terrog »

WHAT HAPPENED NEXT???