Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Forum for general discussions that aren't relevant to any of our other forums.
JenDoon
Ex-member

Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Post by JenDoon »

Exerxes wrote:You haven't played Oblivion?!? Wow... Well I'll say you'll enjoy it.

Now is it just me but I'm starting to get the impression that if you aren't a Jack of All Trades you will die, and quickly...

Take my character. Badass Conan dude, Two Handed, Smithing, Heavy Armoured, a touch of Block, a touch of Sneak, and yet any opponent with a bow or wearing a robe can take my dude down in 3 shots...

I'm wearing Dragonplate armour... I've got an armour rating of 382. I've got 270 HPs. How, how, how, how, can a wooden stick take off a third of my health?!?!?!?!?

How, how, how, how, can a touch of fire almost instantly nail me?

Tbh, now I'm starting to get the impression that if you aren't an archer stealth ninja or a mage tank destroyer then you are utterly in trouble. Guess the days of Oblivion are over, when Conan actually worked... :(

Ex
Some enemies will always be much stronger than you and kill you very quickly. Just level up and come back later. Archery is a deadly skill in Skyrim, and with good reason given how hard it is to use against a moving target or up close.

If you are struggling with archers, I'd suggest using a simple conjuration spell, let the archer focus on that then rush at them.
Nekxyu
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Seph & Qorr

Post by Nekxyu »

I've never tried being Conan, or William Wallace, or a knight or a ninja or anything like that. Okay, well, I've tried. Tried and failed (Tried and died!). Generally, when I play TES, I always end up being a 100% magic user.

Why?

Magic is better at all the other skills than all the other skills are! xD Magic can provide the highest concerted damage output of all classes. Magic provides the most hardcore protection available (shrug off those arrows, man!). Magic provides the best stealth available. Best lockpicking. Magic lets you blow things up with lightning! It gives you light at night. It gives you powerful companions. Anything in the game you can name, magic seems to be able to do it better. Well, you get the idea; magic is awesome. And it's essentially one "domain" or "direction", which means it's very feasible RPG-wise, making magic the perfect choice for me. I just can't justify investing in anything else to myself :P

And I certainly had no problems dishing out fiery revenge to anybody who dared stand against my high-elf mage. (I never upgraded anything but magicka, btw. Who needs health when you got wards and stacking enchantments? :D)
A forum post should be like a skirt;
long enough to cover the subject material,
but short enough to keep things interesting.

RIP Seph
Exerxes

Post by Exerxes »

No, no, it's not just some archers or mages, it's all of them. I'll walk into a dungeon of Draugr kick the asses of anything that happens to wield a melee weapon but once I meet an archer of that same level I'm dead...

That makes me think one of two things is happening. Either the game mechanics of these types of opponents are too OP against a Melee based Warrior or I've built my character incorrectly.

Maybe it's the latter because I've forsworn taking any Magic-esque abilities, which suggests a serious lack of foresight from Beth.

Or maybe Beth felt that Archers and Mages didn't do enough damage in testing against Magic/Stealth Archer character builds and decided to up the damage. Again, suggesting a serious lack of foresight.

Or maybe the leveling system still doesn't work, and we're getting the fallout of changes to Oblivion's leveling system along with the things that didn't work in Oblivion...

Oh yeah that reminds me,

Zen: Download a leveling mod for Oblivion, trust me, Oblivion's leveling system was seriously broken.
"Jedi refer to the ‘light side’ and the ‘dark side’, but really, these are only words, and the Force is beyond words. It is not evil, just as it isn’t good-it's simply what it is."

JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Nekxyu wrote:I've never tried being Conan, or William Wallace, or a knight or a ninja or anything like that. Okay, well, I've tried. Tried and failed (Tried and died!). Generally, when I play TES, I always end up being a 100% magic user.

Why?

Magic is better at all the other skills than all the other skills are! xD Magic can provide the highest concerted damage output of all classes. Magic provides the most hardcore protection available (shrug off those arrows, man!). Magic provides the best stealth available. Best lockpicking. Magic lets you blow things up with lightning! It gives you light at night. It gives you powerful companions. Anything in the game you can name, magic seems to be able to do it better. Well, you get the idea; magic is awesome. And it's essentially one "domain" or "direction", which means it's very feasible RPG-wise, making magic the perfect choice for me. I just can't justify investing in anything else to myself :P

And I certainly had no problems dishing out fiery revenge to anybody who dared stand against my high-elf mage. (I never upgraded anything but magicka, btw. Who needs health when you got wards and stacking enchantments? :D)
Magic is perfect as a support for archery, but on it's own at low/mid level it's weaker than archery. The only exception to this is the illusion school, which is waaay over powered (fury is sick). I use magic (got every school over 40 at least) to buff my archery and stealth, but trust me when i say archery is deadly. I have a bow that pumps out 165 per shot, which is 495 per stealthed shot. Now my stealth is pretty high too, so I can usually get off 2-4 shots at any mix of targets before they spot me. That is wicked damage, and that is without adding poisons to every arrow if I so choose.

Archery is amazing. Another thing to consider is how accurate it is. You can't be throwing around fireballs and AOE's when your companions are struggling for life, but I can pump arrows all over the place, sometimes shooting an enemy in the head from between the raised arms of my companion as they swing their sword.

Magic is cool, don't get me wrong but one shot from my bow with a paralysis potion and you are going down for 5 seconds...never to rise again...and you won't even see me do it.

/wink
Halvy
Ex-member

Post by Halvy »

Well looks like i might be getting Skyrim soon. GameStop messed up my Revelations order and didnt send the Ezio figure with the game and they are now sold out of them. In return for their stupidity they are giving me $50 which means i can get Skyrim for only $10!
Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted.
SethAltair
Roleplay Officer
SWTOR Characters: Adalquinn Endris

Post by SethAltair »

Good to see I'm not the only one with problems regarding game orders.

Tried to stay away of this topic since the Skyrim was released. I didn't preorder but I was supposed to get it maybe three days from release date. Well, I didn't. My local distibutor messed it up and now my Skyrim goes force knows where. They have none in store and more will be coming by indefinite time frame. I don't know if I'll be getting it next year or the one after it :evil:
Amtath
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Shraun Amtath

Post by Amtath »

Exerxes wrote:No, no, it's not just some archers or mages, it's all of them. I'll walk into a dungeon of Draugr kick the asses of anything that happens to wield a melee weapon but once I meet an archer of that same level I'm dead...

That makes me think one of two things is happening. Either the game mechanics of these types of opponents are too OP against a Melee based Warrior or I've built my character incorrectly.

Maybe it's the latter because I've forsworn taking any Magic-esque abilities, which suggests a serious lack of foresight from Beth.
From what I read, your armor rating seems rather low.

Archer have never posed me any trouble. Mages & Vampire on the other hand, if treated carelessly or in large numbers, might be a problem.

My strategy is that I start with arrows and as long I wasn't spotted. Then I use fire magic during the gap between range & melee. And finally I bash them with my sword. Destruction & restoration are the only school of magic that I use often.

I have the Companions storyline & I'm rather disappointed. It went rather quickly & so some events that took place didn't really connect with me. I think that I did as many quest overall that I did for a single quest giver of the Fighter Guild in Oblivion. No real time to know the guys, to bond with them. In Oblivion, you talked to the guys over & over. I didn't feel like I did anything worth doing to become their leader, not that they treat me any different or they simply don't care.

I was finally "able" to go to Winterhold and "Fus Ro Dah" my way into the College.
  • On the fun side:
  • I met a Giant riding a Dragon that appeared in front of me from nowhere on the right side of the screen at ground level. I was WTF?
  • Met a Dragon that fell from the sky badly injured
  • I'm also sometime perplexed by the reaction of my horse. Sometime he scare easily and I have a hard time finding him. Lost two that way (My current one, I'm happy to be able to spot him thanks to his blond mane)And sometime he goes totally berserk.
    Four times coming to mind: Once I'm fighting on a riverbank. I'm finished, I look for my horse. I see him crossing the nearby bridge to attack far away monsters.
    Another time I unmount to fight a bear that attacked us. I see my horse running in front me. I say to myself: "Ok he's just running away". Then I see him attacking a Giant that was just passing by in the distance. I'm like: "F*** the bear, must protect my horse".
    Third time, I'm doing an imperial quest. The quest starts and then my horse appears. I spend the entire quest running after my horse, killing everything that he attacked or attacked him. And it wasn't attacking things nearby, he often went from one end to the other.
    Four time, I had to attack a Forsworn camp. Left my horse in the distance when I attacked the first Forsworn, I see my horse rushing in, going up the stair. And then I follow him, swinging my sword, yelling "Leave my horse alone".
    Sometime it feels like a Benny Hill gag, my horse chasing a mob, me chasing a mob chasing my horse and me being chased by mobs.
    But I like my Frost. :p
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training"
Shraun Amtath - Jedi Knight
"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price."
Zenosis
Old-timer
SWTOR Characters: San'dra Jerro, Sorania Jerro

Post by Zenosis »

Amtath wrote:
  • On the fun side:
  • I met a Giant riding a Dragon that appeared in front of me from nowhere on the right side of the screen at ground level. I was WTF?
  • Met a Dragon that fell from the sky badly injured
  • I'm also sometime perplexed by the reaction of my horse. Sometime he scare easily and I have a hard time finding him. Lost two that way (My current one, I'm happy to be able to spot him thanks to his blond mane)And sometime he goes totally berserk.
    Four times coming to mind: Once I'm fighting on a riverbank. I'm finished, I look for my horse. I see him crossing the nearby bridge to attack far away monsters.
    Another time I unmount to fight a bear that attacked us. I see my horse running in front me. I say to myself: "Ok he's just running away". Then I see him attacking a Giant that was just passing by in the distance. I'm like: "F*** the bear, must protect my horse".
    Third time, I'm doing an imperial quest. The quest starts and then my horse appears. I spend the entire quest running after my horse, killing everything that he attacked or attacked him. And it wasn't attacking things nearby, he often went from one end to the other.
    Four time, I had to attack a Forsworn camp. Left my horse in the distance when I attacked the first Forsworn, I see my horse rushing in, going up the stair. And then I follow him, swinging my sword, yelling "Leave my horse alone".
    Sometime it feels like a Benny Hill gag, my horse chasing a mob, me chasing a mob chasing my horse and me being chased by mobs.
    But I like my Frost. :p
I like my Demon Horse, anything aggroes me it clobbers it with it's hooves, the only time I have seen it die is when I leapt over a hill that turned out to be a big cliff with a very long drop. :D oh and it tanked one of those frost dragons as well,
Republic:
San'dra Jerro (lv58 Miralukan Jedi Sentinel)
Addiena Jerrol (lv53 Human Vanguard)
Sorania Jerro (Lv54 Miralukan Jedi Healer)
Aveline Jerrol (Lv39 Human Smuggler)
Imperials
Zenosis (lv60 Human Sniper)
Kavana Jerro (lv54 Miralukan Juggernaught)
Ruriko (Lv54 Human (Cybernetics) Mercenary)
Kiantarus (Sith Assassain, Sith Pure Blood)