Jedi's telepathic abilities

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
pata
Old-timer

Jedi's telepathic abilities

Post by pata »

I would like to discuss the telepathic abilities of the jedis. Of course it is different for each jedi, but how strong is an average padawan or master's telepathic ability? It can be important because of the "Beginings".

Should I describe my character's feelings (strong ones), or it is not really telepathic, rather a sixth sense and a jedi only can feel the dangerous things like deception and hate for him/her?
Xoana (shadow)
Mortel (scoundrel)
Sennera (sage)
Grao-tak/Grao (gunslinger/vanguard)
Botond (guardian)
Lirian (commando)
Jázmin (sentinel)
JenDoon
Ex-member

Re: Jedi's telepathic abilities

Post by JenDoon »

Good topic Pata.

As far as I understand it, Jedi tend to be able to sense emotions from people, but not really "read their thoughts". So, a Jedi of any rank should be able to focus and sense the general feelings of people in a room, or if they are speaking to someone get a rough idea of their intentions.

The most common use of this ability is to figure out if someone is lying to you or hiding something. You wouldn't be able to see from their mind "you are hiding the location of the death star plans...they....are on Endor!"...but, as a force user you would get a feeling of deception or trickery.

I think in some cases, like for example if a jedi places both hands over a person's head and really concentrates, they can get specific information...even wipe memories or place them into a person's mind, but this is fairly advanced.

It's important to note also, from a roleplay perspective that alot of people are aware of the fact Jedi can read them and so they mask their emotions or confuse their thoughts. The Mandalorians are famous for this, being enemies of the Jedi.
pata
Old-timer

Post by pata »

Is it a passive or an active ability? If it is passive, then it could be bothersome, when you are in a crowd of emotional peoples (for example a zabrak new years party). Then probably a jedi would have to learn block his own ability.
Xoana (shadow)
Mortel (scoundrel)
Sennera (sage)
Botond (guardian)
Lirian (commando)
Jázmin (sentinel)
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

pata wrote:Is it a passive or an active ability? If it is passive, then it could be bothersome, when you are in a crowd of emotional peoples (for example a zabrak new years party). Then probably a jedi would have to learn block his own ability.
Hmm. I can't say for sure if it's passive or not. I believe Jedi, as they train become more and more receptive to the force. So, for the most part they'd have to actively concentrate to feel emotions from people directly.. However, as Obi wan displayed on the Millenium Falcon, big events like people dying can sort of push emotional feedback onto the Jedi without them looking for it.

I use the analogy of a radio reception. Padawans can hear stuff but they aren't finely tuned in. Knights and Masters have their reception finely tuned, and they can also manually scan for signals. I think it's like that.
Zenrana
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Zenrana

Post by Zenrana »

I think doon really got hold of the long stick. ;)

The strong willed and those in control of their feelings are harder do get a sense off but those who are less inclined control and strong sense of purpose are easier to read. To read peoples emotions though, one does not need to be a Jedi, not even when people think they are hiding them.
Yessir, Cap'n tightpants.
pata
Old-timer

Post by pata »

Zenrana wrote:
To read peoples emotions though, one does not need to be a Jedi, not even when people think they are hiding them.
What do you mean?
Xoana (shadow)
Mortel (scoundrel)
Sennera (sage)
Botond (guardian)
Lirian (commando)
Jázmin (sentinel)
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

I assume he means things like body language, eye contact, use of language, to name but a few.

To quote Christopher Walken in the epic movie "True Romance", where he is interogating Dennis Hopper.

"What we got here is a little game of show and tell. You're telling me nothing but showing me everything."

Simple example. You ask someone if they are telling the truth. They say "yes" but unconsciously shake their head. Politicians do this all the time.
Slide
Quartermaster
SWTOR Characters: Slide, Myreen
SteamID: Slidemoon
PSN Username: slidemoon
Xbox Live Gamertag: Slide Moon

Post by Slide »

Oh, I can see the OOC discussions during RP already.

- My char is using the Force to read your char's mind so tell me what he's thinking.
- He can't read my char's mind!
- He can! He's a Jedi!
- Jedi aren't telepathic!
- They are! Darth Vader read Luke's mind all the time!
- No he didn't! Even if he did, your char is a regular Jedi and he's the Dark Lord of the Sith, the second most powerful being in the galaxy!
- No, he isn't. Luke is way more powerful.

etc.

"Nice pants. Where you got them, Tightooine?"

Myreen - Guardian - damage dealer
Slide - Scoundrel - damage dealer
Jacynn - Vanguard - Tank
Zyall - Juggernaut - damage dealer
pata
Old-timer

Post by pata »

That is why I want to discuss it.
Xoana (shadow)
Mortel (scoundrel)
Sennera (sage)
Botond (guardian)
Lirian (commando)
Jázmin (sentinel)
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Slide wrote:Oh, I can see the OOC discussions during RP already.

- My char is using the Force to read your char's mind so tell me what he's thinking.
- He can't read my char's mind!
- He can! He's a Jedi!
- Jedi aren't telepathic!
- They are! Darth Vader read Luke's mind all the time!
- No he didn't! Even if he did, your char is a regular Jedi and he's the Dark Lord of the Sith, the second most powerful being in the galaxy!
- No, he isn't. Luke is way more powerful.

etc.

Vader was Luke's father, and it's a commonly known geek fact that close family bonds allow easier force contact. Plus, Luke was and always will be a massive noob.

"But I want to go to tashii station to buy some power converters!"

/backhand

Read any good starwars book dealing with Jedi and you'll see even very powerful Jedi Masters can't just read complex thoughts from people. They can sense emotions and in rare cases, get little flashes of images.

But we'll be having a discussion soon about our policies on roleplay and this will include "Meta gaming", which has as it's prime culprit, telepaths and psychics.