Agent of Tightness

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
Slide
Quartermaster
SWTOR Characters: Slide, Myreen
SteamID: Slidemoon
PSN Username: slidemoon
Xbox Live Gamertag: Slide Moon

Agent of Tightness

Post by Slide »

The Imperial Agent appealed to me from day one, and it's only because of TKM and Smuggler class that I'm playing Republic.
But damn! The Agent is all kinds of tight!

a tight link

"Nice pants. Where you got them, Tightooine?"

Myreen - Guardian - damage dealer
Slide - Scoundrel - damage dealer
Jacynn - Vanguard - Tank
Zyall - Juggernaut - damage dealer
JenDoon
Ex-member

Re: Agent of Tightness

Post by JenDoon »

You know, I just don't see the appeal. I've heard their story is very cool, but I've never liked stealth characters or snipers.

They do get to bed alot of women though....
Friesian
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Xru

Post by Friesian »

They need be killed on sight.
Not because if tighttytihgyttiniss.
Zenosis
Old-timer
SWTOR Characters: San'dra Jerro, Sorania Jerro

Post by Zenosis »

I had already decided that the only Imperial character I was going to play was the Imperial Agent, Sniper.

PLayed it briefly when I was testing, Fantastic Story.

so here are my planned toons

Republic:-
Jedi Knight: Shandra Jerro (Sentinel) {Main}
Trooper: Addiena Knight (Undecided on class)

Empire:-
Imperial Agent: Undecided name (Sniper)
Republic:
San'dra Jerro (lv58 Miralukan Jedi Sentinel)
Addiena Jerrol (lv53 Human Vanguard)
Sorania Jerro (Lv54 Miralukan Jedi Healer)
Aveline Jerrol (Lv39 Human Smuggler)
Imperials
Zenosis (lv60 Human Sniper)
Kavana Jerro (lv54 Miralukan Juggernaught)
Ruriko (Lv54 Human (Cybernetics) Mercenary)
Kiantarus (Sith Assassain, Sith Pure Blood)
Xenn
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Okori & Xenn

Post by Xenn »

That looks great! Definitely going to have to try one out. I'm still a little un-sure about the cover mechanic but the armor sure is tight!
Yoonbak Onath
SWTOR Characters: Yoonbak Onath

Post by Yoonbak Onath »

Agreed on imp agent awesomeness. Operative is tempting!
What's the state of TKM imp mirror guild plans?
Yoonbak Onath Shadow - Defensive Combat - Synthweaver Tank
Yobem Onath Scoundrel - Close/Medium Range Combat - Musician - Materials Smuggler DPS
Yehnai Guardian - Form V Perfectionist DPS
Slide
Quartermaster

Post by Slide »

I've always been a fan of stealth gameplay. Solid Snake, Splinter Cell, Tenchu.

Several aspects are appealing. Avoiding conflict over resolving it, disabling your enemy without them ever noticing, tight outfits...

Smugglers may be more dashing, but Agents are the definition of tight!

Jacynn - Vanguard - Tank
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Slide wrote:I've always been a fan of stealth gameplay. Solid Snake, Splinter Cell, Tenchu.

Several aspects are appealing. Avoiding conflict over resolving it, disabling your enemy without them ever noticing, tight outfits...

Smugglers may be more dashing, but Agents are the definition of tight!
Tenchu! LoL I loved those games but lets be honest the stealth there was about skill and timing and spatial awareness, not hitting a power and running around in plain view.

RIKIMARU!

I dislike all stealth classes in any MMO. They are used to gank people and there isn't a single example I've seen from the expanded universe where characters can stealth like that.

Poodoo I say, Poo...doo!
Slide
Quartermaster

Post by Slide »

JenDoon wrote:
Slide wrote:Tenchu! LoL I loved those games but lets be honest the stealth there was about skill and timing and spatial awareness, not hitting a power and running around in plain view.
True. It was about actually staying out of your enemy's sight and acting when their backs are turned.
To some extent, any class can use this technique in an MMO. I mean you can sometimes get the jump on someone in PvP if they don't see you coming. It's a whole different ballgame though, and you can never really compare a response action game like Tenchu to a cooldown-based MMO with huge nametags above the toons' heads. So there needs to be another way for stealth classes to be valid in an MMO, and making them vanish from sight seems to be the only way. I don't know about other games, but my main in WoW was a Rogue, and you had to stay anywhere but directly in front of your opponent in order not to be spotted. So it's not the same as invisibility.

All in all, I like it more for the idea of stealth than for how it works in the game world.

I think there will be a lot of things in the game that haven't been seen in the expanded universe yet. Bio does take some liberties in order to get things they want in the game, stealth being one of them.

Jacynn - Vanguard - Tank
BadJawa
Ex-member

Post by BadJawa »

Wotcha everyone,

Skills in games are usually defined as either hard skills or soft skills, and stealth is no exception.

Most games allow the use of stealth as a hard skill. Hard skills are player skills, so if you can be stealthy, you *are* stealthy. It doesn't matter if it's a first person shooter or an MMO, if you can get the drop on the other guy without him seeing you, you're stealthy.

Of course, most people aren't as stealthy as they'd like to think they are, especially with a few items of information glowing above their heads; name, vanity title, rank, guildname. When attempting to sneak up on someone, all that neon is *not* your friend.

So the game makes allowances, and decides that anyone who has chosen to play the class that is supposed to be stealthy *is* stealthy; stealth is coded in as a soft skill. It never makes real sense for someone to just suddenly disappear from view whilst in plain sight, nor does it make sense for that same person to be unseen with no sign of cover at midday, on a sunny day.

So we make allowances. Agreed, it makes no sense, but neither do many of the conventions that we take for granted in MMOs, or indeed gaming in general.

It's gaming. What makes it fun is that it's not realistic. Realism kills games.

I really like the look of the Imperial Agent class. Being an altoholic, and The Old Republic looking like an altoholic's wet dream, I'll no doubt have an alt who is an Imperial Agent. And out of the Imperial classes, it's my favourite.

Although to be perfectly honest, the stealth isn't the big draw, but rather all the other cool stuff it can do.

Cheers,
Hawley.
Subtlety is for other people.