Troopers, ranks and RP.

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
Kaetha
Founder
SWTOR Characters: Kaetha Amathi

Troopers, ranks and RP.

Post by Kaetha »

Now putting aside any titles, ranks or labels that you may get in game I want to look at this from a purely roleplayed perspective.

Does your trooper have a rank? Makes sense to me, as regardless of anything else your trooper is part of the republic army and therefore has been part of the ranking system. (Ignore the guild for the time being aswell).
But I think it's somethign to think of, it's going to add complexity to whatever we do as a guild (not in a bad way).

Will you as a trooper play a grunt or perhaps something higher up? I doubt we'll have any Brigadiers to start with within the guild.

So what is your rank? Where do you sit in the grand scheme of things.

I also suppose the same can be said for jedi there is a ranking system of sorts and we do know many have been generals in various movies. Think I will leave the Jedi question for someone else to manage though as I don't have the depth of knowledge.
Yogash
Ex-member

Re: Troopers, ranks and RP.

Post by Yogash »

Trooper is just fine for me for now. I would point out however, that with heavy arms, demolition and medic training I am a member of a more senior group of troopers. A special squad made up of a select few obtained from the normal rank and file, bit SBS SAS ish.
'I'm like a leaf on the wind...watch how i soar'
(how to fly Serenity)
“A Trooper doesn’t get tired…he just reloads”
'We're coming....and we're bringing GUNS'
'two words - massive cannon. I got it - you don't'
Sunus
Ex-member

Post by Sunus »

well, I personally are gonna "earn" my promotion instead of just putting a lable on myself from start. It would be embarrassing on my part if I started out with a rank I by far would not be able to roleplay proberly. So, learn how the basics works, then "earn" higher ranks the more I learn the ins and outs of the trooper class.

Hopefully that'll also add some roleplaying from my part as my character will have to behave within some raking boundries (And hey, it may turnout that my trooper turns out as being too unrurly for higher promotions. RP will show in time).
"A Trooper dosn't get tired, he just reloads" - Charles Boyd, tOR/Bioware writer
# 1666: "If if takes more than five minutes for the debris to stop falling, I need to pick a smaller gun."
SonnyCorle
Ex-member

Post by SonnyCorle »

I know you get ranked titles in game. But for RP purposes, once I get to max level, I like the idea of my trooper being a non commissioned officer.
Republic Military Classified File: Sergeant Snowbourne

"We must fight—to victory, or death—for the Republic!"
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

We had a discussion a while ago about roleplay based ranks for TKM, and the general feeling was they don't fit with the guild. So, actual guild ranks won't be part of our structure.

However, the idea of us, as a guild creating a ranking system for our Jedi, trooper and smuggler members that is used by our members, but not used as the roleplay structure of our guild, makes alot of sense.

So, we could make really cool and involved Jedi trials, with ranks like padawan, adept, knight and Master but even if you become a Jedi Master, that rank has nothing to do with your place in TKM.

We need to recognise Bioware probably aren't going to create a very roleplay friendly ranking system, so we need to fill that gap. We'll need more ingame experience and knowledge before we can properly do it though.
Silgan
Old-timer
SWTOR Characters: silgan-klara

Post by Silgan »

My character just signed up a few months ago.. so i still need to learn to be a regular trooper.. (i still dont know much bout close to everything). In my opinion troopers need to have structure and leadership. I would not mind to have someone above me rp-wise (with lack of time at times its also very nice to lear from others that way). Some will level faster compared to others, that way more experienced troopers have more to say (and for sure with the right medals on them!).
Malgunn
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Malgunn

Post by Malgunn »

Singal wrote:My character just signed up a few months ago.. so i still need to learn to be a regular trooper.. (i still dont know much bout close to everything). In my opinion troopers need to have structure and leadership. I would not mind to have someone above me rp-wise (with lack of time at times its also very nice to lear from others that way). Some will level faster compared to others, that way more experienced troopers have more to say (and for sure with the right medals on them!).

*Points at Yogash & Pata*

They seem to the be the senior Troopers on deck...

Malgunn Galazin
Smuggler ¦ Scoundrel ¦ Trader

SMUGGLERS: Don’t go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path. . . and leave a burning trail
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Once we have enough in game experience to know how we'd test out members in terms of guild trials, shouldn't be too hard to come up with a nice roleplay based ranking system.
Tym
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Tymran

Post by Tym »

Well jedis dont have military ranks in true sense, yes they are refered to as generals but they are generals the same way presidents are supreme commanders. So its associated with function not rank. Now as for for smugglers *And who made YOU boss ?* is propably enough to say. As for troopers i would strongly advise to be very carefull about the ranks. As a matter of perspective and *realism* i would advise against any rank higher than captain. Why ? Well you dont see teams of majors running around in teams getting shit done out in the open. So tread carefully. Just a thought anyway (o:
Never tell me the odds!
Amtath
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Shraun Amtath

Post by Amtath »

Kaetha wrote:Now putting aside any titles, ranks or labels that you may get in game I want to look at this from a purely roleplayed perspective.

Does your trooper have a rank? Makes sense to me, as regardless of anything else your trooper is part of the republic army and therefore has been part of the ranking system. (Ignore the guild for the time being aswell).
But I think it's somethign to think of, it's going to add complexity to whatever we do as a guild (not in a bad way).

Will you as a trooper play a grunt or perhaps something higher up? I doubt we'll have any Brigadiers to start with within the guild.

So what is your rank? Where do you sit in the grand scheme of things.

I also suppose the same can be said for jedi there is a ranking system of sorts and we do know many have been generals in various movies. Think I will leave the Jedi question for someone else to manage though as I don't have the depth of knowledge.
I think we should use the rank that the game gives us as we are gonna role play that when we are gonna play our story. Doing like the class story doesn't exist isn't really a good thing for me. Starting to make a distinction between the class story and your role play isn't necesseraly a good thing. We should role play upon it, around it not instead or in place of it. Role playing shouldn't be only when we are amongst us but also when we are playing our class quests. Going like all that didn't happen, I don't know if it's a good thing.

Just like the Jedi, need to find a role play reason to explain why they get in the order, the trooper need a role play reason why he's a sergeant like the smuggler how he got his ship.
Might have been for good reason or got promoted in place of somebody else, by luck, for political reasons, for a lack of a better candidate, ... The class story might even give you good reason for that if you want to. ;)

Overall I don't think we should create a dual world where the game story is one thing and the guild is another. For once that we get a mmo that we can really role play our characters while playing the game, it would be a shame to say that none of that happened. Being one moment that big epic hero and the next a nobody.

I don't know how other feel about that...
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training"
Shraun Amtath - Jedi Knight
"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price."