Mafia Game -- anybody interested?

Forum for general discussions that aren't relevant to any of our other forums.
Nekxyu
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Seph & Qorr

Mafia Game -- anybody interested?

Post by Nekxyu »

In case you don't know about it, Mafia is a very fun social game to play in places like forums, etc. I've had great fun with it in the past, and I would be willing to moderate, narrate or "GM" a game here to see if everybody liked it, if anybody's interested.

Basically, it goes like this:

Players can have several different roles:

Civilian: The default, non-special role. Can vote on who to kill each cycle.
Killer: Gets to murder one person each cycle. If there are several, they debate among themselves whom to kill. Against the civilians.
Detective: Can "discover" any one person's role once each cycle. With the civilians.
Healer: Can "save" one specific person each cycle from being killed by the killers. With the civilians.

When the killer is dead, or the killers outnumber the civilians, one side wins.

These rules vary a lot from game to game. Depending on the amount of players, the number of roles can both shrink and grow quite a lot, as there are endless variations on this general theme. When the game starts, these roles are doled out randomly by the narrator via PM. Usually, a cycle of 24 hours is used. Thus, a single game can take an entire week.

Each cycle, the special roles PM the narrator with what they're doing to whom. The killer gets special leeway with the manner in which he wishes to kill his target. He can leave clues, make it horrible to invoke fear, or do it in a specific way to point to another player, or even himself, to alleviate suspicion in a two-level maneuver. Strategies are only limited by your creativity.

When the cycle ends, the narrator posts up an "in-character" scene in which everything that everybody's been doing takes place.

This may sound dry, but this game is so fun. Everybody gets extremely paranoid and jumpy as civilian after civilian fall to the killer and the pool of suspects shrink.

It's also usual to have a thread that can be discussed in a special forum with a password, where the identities of the roles are posted and everybody who's dead + the narrator can sit and speculate on what everybody's going to do, and in general follow the game in glee from the safety of "heaven". If the game comes through, a limited moderator status for the current narrator would be in order, where he can essentially change the password of the "death forum", and moderate the thread which he's running the game in.

Obviously, nobody who's dead can reveal any roles, and nobody who's dead can post in the main thread any more, either.

I'd like to run a game, as I said. I think this could be great fun with these people. Come on guys, spread the word. This would be so awesome.

Who's in?
A forum post should be like a skirt;
long enough to cover the subject material,
but short enough to keep things interesting.

RIP Seph
Nekxyu
Ex-member

Re: Mafia Game -- anybody interested?

Post by Nekxyu »

I guess not...

Boring, guys. Boring! :P

RIP Seph
Slide
Quartermaster
SWTOR Characters: Slide, Myreen
SteamID: Slidemoon
PSN Username: slidemoon
Xbox Live Gamertag: Slide Moon

Post by Slide »

Thanks for the initiative, Nekxyu!

Not a lot of interest, apparently. I guess people aren't looking for a forum game of this kind here.
I'm not saying there's no place for it, so whoever's up to it, enjoy!

"Nice pants. Where you got them, Tightooine?"

Myreen - Guardian - damage dealer
Slide - Scoundrel - damage dealer
Jacynn - Vanguard - Tank
Zyall - Juggernaut - damage dealer
Nekxyu
Ex-member

Post by Nekxyu »

Apparently our people are not into fun. Or common forum etiquette, where you merely post "no" or "fuck you", which is preferable to ignoring a thread altogether xD
Nekxyu is not angry, though. Nekxyu is disappointed! Wallow in your shame, bums! :P

RIP Seph
Yogash
Ex-member

Post by Yogash »

As you insist I will outline my situation. I of course can't speak for anyone else.

I am a guild leader for a guild in WoW. I enjoy that game. I have fun playing that game. I talk to others about it but don't try laying guilt trips on them if they don't want to play.

When not playing WoW I have other games I play and other interests and I even have some real life friends.

I do not consider myself boring and most I speak with seem to be of the same opinion.

Perhaps it was remiss of me not to politely add no thank you to your post and for that I apologise.

As I long ago discovered you might think your idea is brilliant, funny and the peak of fun but you can't make others think the same, they will make their own decisions and not agreeing with you does not make them boring or bums or shamed in any way.

Not for me but thank you for your kind offer.
'I'm like a leaf on the wind...watch how i soar'
(how to fly Serenity)
“A Trooper doesn’t get tired…he just reloads”
'We're coming....and we're bringing GUNS'
'two words - massive cannon. I got it - you don't'
Nekxyu
Ex-member

Post by Nekxyu »

As I said, I don't mind if people say no, or insult me, or whatever you wish. Merely, reading a thread and then not posting in response when it's obviously a thread asking for one, even in the negative, has always struck me to be unfair towards the creator of the thread, and I try to keep this in mind myself when reading a topic.

Of course, opinions differ on this topic. In case you didn't notice, I did try to make sure people knew it was only mock indignation and joking around; I'm not actually angry or disappointed or anything xD

RIP Seph
Lisszia
Recruitment Officer
SWTOR Characters: Neknivar, Lisszia, Cicc, ...

Post by Lisszia »

Why I didn't answer was your question: who is in?
For me it means sign up if you want. Not that say yes or no. I'm not English and never lived anywhere where English is the official language, so I didn't feel it from the post that you want us to say yes or no, and not only want those who would like to play to sign up. For me it's no, I hate this game since secondary school.
Neknivar Devsta Endris (Nekni) female zabrak, tiny
Other chars: Rhoo, Lisszia, Tríz, Lorna(imp), Loran, Cicc, Lette, Sla'laktu, Deesha, Siar, Old-triz, Lenaa (Nekni(imp), Nekní)
Nekxyu
Ex-member

Post by Nekxyu »

Well, let's let it be, in any case.

RIP Seph
Kaetha
Founder
SWTOR Characters: Kaetha Amathi

Post by Kaetha »

*coughs*

Too tense in here!

I prescribe... Clowns!

On a serious note, I don't think anyone was getting shirty, just some crossed wires. Lets just treat it as a misscommunication.

Apologies on my part Nekxyu I've had so much on I've not really found as much time to devote to the forum as I should. I appreciate though that you went to the trouble to come up with an activity for people to join in on.

P.s. The clown was not my first choice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nekxyu
Ex-member

Post by Nekxyu »

But... but... I only wanted to have more friends.

Not murder them at all.

RIP Seph