Time is running down

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
Xenn
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Okori & Xenn

Re: Time is running down

Post by Xenn »

Kaetha wrote:Xenn, I'm going to have a word with our anonymous benefactor regarding our vent server. I'm more than happy to give mumble a try.
So does this mean our anonymous benefactor might be able to run a Murmur server (Mumble host) or should I order up a server account for us? I'm happy to pay for it, If anyone wants to contribute too that's cool but no need really, It's pretty inexpensive. Mumble just makes communications so much better, It's worth it to me to make it happen. Does 25 concurrent slots seem like enough to start? We can expand it later. < hope i'm not being too persistent >
;)
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

Xenn wrote:
Kaetha wrote:Xenn, I'm going to have a word with our anonymous benefactor regarding our vent server. I'm more than happy to give mumble a try.
So does this mean our anonymous benefactor might be able to run a Murmur server (Mumble host) or should I order up a server account for us? I'm happy to pay for it, If anyone wants to contribute too that's cool but no need really, It's pretty inexpensive. Mumble just makes communications so much better, It's worth it to me to make it happen. Does 25 concurrent slots seem like enough to start? We can expand it later. < hope i'm not being too persistent >
;)

I think 25 is more than enough, as I've never seen more than 5 people on vent at once. The game being live will increase that amount, but I doubt, at least for a few months we'll ever have more than 25 people.
Tym
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Tymran

Post by Tym »

Now i dont want to sound like asshole. But i am not sure why would we need to pay 10 bucks for 25 slots when mumble is open source and we can have VPS with mumble for as low as 4 euro per month with unlimited slots. Now i am not sure what the current technical background behind the website and forum is but i guess that someone must be paying for the hosting and the domain registration or have it as small byproduct running along some other project thus "free". What i am trying to say is that while i am all up for mumble lets be cost effective (o:
Never tell me the odds!
Xenn
Ex-member

Post by Xenn »

Tym wrote:Now i dont want to sound like asshole. But i am not sure why would we need to pay 10 bucks for 25 slots when mumble is open source and we can have VPS with mumble for as low as 4 euro per month with unlimited slots. Now i am not sure what the current technical background behind the website and forum is but i guess that someone must be paying for the hosting and the domain registration or have it as small byproduct running along some other project thus "free". What i am trying to say is that while i am all up for mumble lets be cost effective (o:
I've never setup a VPS, the price point sure sounds nice, but I imagine it might not be that cheap if you have to pay for the bandwidth in and out. Any vendors you recommend? Sounds like a fun experiment...
Xenn
Ex-member

Post by Xenn »

Thanks for the thinking outside of the <virtual> box idea Tym, I just looked into Amazon EC2 and it looks like I can get us a VPS with them for free for the first year. And they host in Ireland so the latency should be ok. I'm going to work on getting it set up today. Would be nice to have it running for the beta test this weekend.
Tym
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Tymran

Post by Tym »

How exactly do you get a machine in amazon cloud for free for a year ? (o: Is there some sort of pact with the devil ? I might sign up i dont care what happens to my soul after i am dead (o:
I am glad you liked the idea.

It feels great pointing people in interesting directions never actually have to do anything myself ((o:
Never tell me the odds!
Xenn
Ex-member

Post by Xenn »

Amazon gives anyone a free micro AWS instance for a year to test it out. Folks are saying this is plenty for Murmur...

http://aws.amazon.com/free/
http://edythemighty.posterous.com/runni ... amazon-ec2

Working on it now...
Machior
Lieutenant
SWTOR Characters: Serra Lightblade

Post by Machior »

Great initiative there Xenn... to be honest I might check with my site host as well. But I doubt they host those, and if they do it would be probably on the same server. And it would be better to keep the website and VoIP client separated as to not hog bandwidth for the other.

Let us know when you get it set up and all, and we can take a look.

And also a thanks to Tym for helping along with thinking on this ;) Now I suggest we move this discussion however towards the Website Suggestions & Feedback forum. Create a thread there about your progress and all that. And let's get this thread back on topic ;)
Malgunn
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Malgunn

Post by Malgunn »

if all goes to pot, i have a few servers. virtual and physical..

i must concratulate Xenn on the amazon find.... very interesting, caused quite a buzz here.

Malgunn Galazin
Smuggler ¦ Scoundrel ¦ Trader

SMUGGLERS: Don’t go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path. . . and leave a burning trail
Xenn
Ex-member

Post by Xenn »

Here's a thread for the Mumble details, the post is a little simple now, but I'll edit it to add more details...
http://tkm.darksword.nl/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=554