Mirakulas sight related question

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
pata
Old-timer

Mirakulas sight related question

Post by pata »

Sorry for the little profane topic, but if I ever want to play a miraluka in the future I have to know how their sight is working.

Can mirakulas see the clothes on others, or they always see only the "aura"? If they never see clothes, then the nudity of others is purely irrelevant to them?

How much material can block the sight of a miraluka?

And the last:
Dis anyone tried to play miraluka during beta? Were there was any effect, feature, etc.. what make easier to answer my questions above?
Xoana (shadow)
Mortel (scoundrel)
Sennera (sage)
Grao-tak/Grao (gunslinger/vanguard)
Botond (guardian)
Lirian (commando)
Jázmin (sentinel)
Nekxyu
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Seph & Qorr

Re: Mirakulas sight related question

Post by Nekxyu »

In-game, the only special thing the Miraluka can do are their racial ability to view the force alignment of other players, most likely for balance reasons.

If you're looking for IC roleplay stuff, then:
Wookiepedia - Force Sight wrote:The Miraluka relied on this power constantly to compensate for their physical blindness. They could not perceive colors but could distinguish organics (even dead) and their alignment from the surrounding environment by their characteristic aura. Most objects, including doors and walls, appeared translucent, allowing to see through them. The Miralukas were the most skilled experts of the technique. Thanks to it, their reflexes were strengthened enormously.
A forum post should be like a skirt;
long enough to cover the subject material,
but short enough to keep things interesting.

RIP Seph
Kiel Barat
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Kiel Barat

Post by Kiel Barat »

Now here's a topic I can relate to. I've had several discussions about this subject with fellow Star Wars enthusiasts.

As far as my knowledge goes, Miralukan eyesight (if it can be called that) should be considered fairly normal. Yes they perceive everything around the through the force, but is has never been described as being anything more than just sight in any of the books I've read. I personally like to think that it's not some sort of "ultimate" vision that allows them to see stuff around them in a way that Neo eventually saw the Matrix. They do have a strong connection to the force and this allows them to see the "aura" of Jedi and Sith, but again I think that it's not really an x-ray vision.

I played as a Miraluka, and there were no visual differences with say, a smuggler. This is just my personal opinion based on the stuff I've read, so don't quote me on that. I aim to play my Miraluka with just a regular sight, so no seeing through walls or anything like that.
Ptang
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Ptang

Post by Ptang »

I played a miraluka Jedi in the beta. Graphically there is no change to what you see on any other race. I wondered if there are any short stories around where this is explored, but my best hit is the wiki
- Fight Evil With Evil
Nekxyu
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Seph & Qorr

Post by Nekxyu »

IMO, their sight makes no sense at all.

Either they see just like normal people, except it's "Force Sight" so wuh, it's supposed to be neat but it's not, see?

Or, they'd see like it's described many places; they can see through walls and stuff. Given the nature of that kind of vision, there'd be no limit to how much they could see through, rather what would make sense would be a limit to how far they could see. But that would be strange as well; for they can often see large things far off in the distance. Perhaps there'd be a certain "resolution" that would be reduced with distance.

Overall, Star Wars canon seems to be in conflict with itself on this issue, so just go with whatever you prefer. Differences between other player's Miraluka's and your own can be put down to individual skill with Force Sight.
A forum post should be like a skirt;
long enough to cover the subject material,
but short enough to keep things interesting.

RIP Seph
Rhanite
Ex-member

Post by Rhanite »

Well, I don't know if this helps, but I have some thoughts based on experiences from Knights of the Old Republic 2.

You see, during that game you get the option to take control of a Miraluka named Visas Marr. If you enter first-person camera mode with her, you get a taste of - well - one way that the Force sight can be interpreted. People and living creatures appear as silhouettes of iridescent color, hued to match their force alignment. Walls, doors, inanimate objects... these things appear semi-translucent (you can "see" whats on the other side etc.) but only up to a certain distance.

Based on this I offer up the following conjecture:
*To a Miraluka, a person is identified by their Force silhouette and the unique they possess (in lieu of facial traits and whatnot that we see).

*A Miraluka could tell if someone is or is not wearing clothes (the silhouette would change. It stands to reason that clothes - by extension of the ownership conferred by donning then, take on the force signature of the owner and thus part of his/her silhouette). Besides, they have other senses too.

*A Miraluka can see through walls, but it is limited to an extent. They register the barrier and the nature of it. Furthermore, one could assume that their force vision become unfocused at greater distances (kind of like what our eyes do normally) so after a certain point, it becomes to indistinct to really pick up details such as numbers of people and individual alignments. According to KOTOR II I believe Marr's vision extended about one room or so - so either that was a meta design choice by Bioware, or we can interpret it as that dense and solid materials encourage the "defocusing" of force vision... so the more and the denser the barriers between the Miraluka and what he is trying to see, the more difficult it becomes to make any sense of it.
Kaetha
Founder
SWTOR Characters: Kaetha Amathi

Post by Kaetha »

I had some thoughts on it myself.

One was that you could equate it to a sort of "force sonar" akin to what Rhanite has outlined above.

Or perhaps something more like the visions a jedi would get but more localised and ever present.
Krytar
Ex-member

Post by Krytar »

In Kotor 2 the exile learned 'force sight' from the Miralukan Visas(an interesting character), in force sight you saw a distinction in black and white with bleu for someone who was light side and red for a darksided person.
http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/art ... 332835.jpg
"When there is no enemies inside, the enemies outside can't hurt you"
Zenosis
Old-timer
SWTOR Characters: San'dra Jerro, Sorania Jerro

Post by Zenosis »

Rhanite wrote:Well, I don't know if this helps, but I have some thoughts based on experiences from Knights of the Old Republic 2.

You see, during that game you get the option to take control of a Miraluka named Visas Marr. If you enter first-person camera mode with her, you get a taste of - well - one way that the Force sight can be interpreted. People and living creatures appear as silhouettes of iridescent color, hued to match their force alignment. Walls, doors, inanimate objects... these things appear semi-translucent (you can "see" whats on the other side etc.) but only up to a certain distance.

Based on this I offer up the following conjecture:
*To a Miraluka, a person is identified by their Force silhouette and the unique they possess (in lieu of facial traits and whatnot that we see).

*A Miraluka could tell if someone is or is not wearing clothes (the silhouette would change. It stands to reason that clothes - by extension of the ownership conferred by donning then, take on the force signature of the owner and thus part of his/her silhouette). Besides, they have other senses too.

*A Miraluka can see through walls, but it is limited to an extent. They register the barrier and the nature of it. Furthermore, one could assume that their force vision become unfocused at greater distances (kind of like what our eyes do normally) so after a certain point, it becomes to indistinct to really pick up details such as numbers of people and individual alignments. According to KOTOR II I believe Marr's vision extended about one room or so - so either that was a meta design choice by Bioware, or we can interpret it as that dense and solid materials encourage the "defocusing" of force vision... so the more and the denser the barriers between the Miraluka and what he is trying to see, the more difficult it becomes to make any sense of it.
I think this is the way I see for Shandra, makes the most sense to me
Republic:
San'dra Jerro (lv58 Miralukan Jedi Sentinel)
Addiena Jerrol (lv53 Human Vanguard)
Sorania Jerro (Lv54 Miralukan Jedi Healer)
Aveline Jerrol (Lv39 Human Smuggler)
Imperials
Zenosis (lv60 Human Sniper)
Kavana Jerro (lv54 Miralukan Juggernaught)
Ruriko (Lv54 Human (Cybernetics) Mercenary)
Kiantarus (Sith Assassain, Sith Pure Blood)
Amtath
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Shraun Amtath

Post by Amtath »

Played a little my mirakula consular, nothing changes with any other race. They even have the "look at" animation.

Might be one of the hardest race to role play: never forget that you're blind. You see shapes but no color.

But in my opinion, they make great consulars, their condition explain why they have such a poor fashion sense. :lol:
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training"
Shraun Amtath - Jedi Knight
"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price."