Lightsabers and setting stuff on fire.

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
Kaetha
Founder
SWTOR Characters: Kaetha Amathi

Lightsabers and setting stuff on fire.

Post by Kaetha »

Not doubting anyone or anything at all really. This is just to satisfy my own curiosity. Otherwise it'll but the bejeebus out of me.

Doony has said lightsabers cannot set things on fire. Considering his background in all things SW I take him at his word. Haven't researched it myself I have to admit, I assumed something thats basically a super hot plasma would do it. Although yes I know a force field is used to reduce the radiated heat from the blade.

I'll leave my posts in beginnings unedited for now and just put it down to artistic license. But I want to discuss just for now the idea of the lightsaber.

We should all have seen the scene where Qui Gonn and Obi are supposed to meet the trade fed guys at the beginning of Ep:1. They begin cutting through the doors with sabers and theres molten metal clearly visible where the saber has effectively "burned" through the door.

So this would logically make me think that yes heat is generated during the cutting process. Although this could just eb due tot he extended contact as the material was very dense. Thoughts?
JenDoon
Ex-member

Re: Lightsabers and setting stuff on fire.

Post by JenDoon »

As I understand it, lightsabers give off no heat at all. They do "burn" through things when they cut, but they also cauterize or seal the cuts, so for example lightsaber wounds don't ever bleed.

Now in terms of clothing being set on fire by lightsabers, we have a few examples of what would happen.

Obi wan's clothes in Ep4 didn't set on fire.

Qui Gon's clothes and Darth Mauls didn't set on fire.

Clothes get burn marks when a lightsaber cuts into them, but don't burst into flames. This is because the source of the heat is the saber blade, which only touches the contact area for a split second.

It might be if a lightsaber was pushed into a massive pile of dry clothing and held there, they would burn but not from a cut or stab.

This is why the blast door in Ep1 started to melt, because the heat from the blade was held in place for a long time.
Yogash
Ex-member

Post by Yogash »

Why can't it just be up to the wielder - it is their force control that holds the blade tight - but i assume if you were good you could control the output. You would normally keep it tight and hence more effective to slash/stab rather than wasting the energy.

Just a thought to possibly explain.
'I'm like a leaf on the wind...watch how i soar'
(how to fly Serenity)
“A Trooper doesn’t get tired…he just reloads”
'We're coming....and we're bringing GUNS'
'two words - massive cannon. I got it - you don't'
Cheesey
Ex-member

Post by Cheesey »

If someone gets impaled by a Lightsaber , then slumps to the floor but the wielder keeps his LS where it is, will the victim vertically slice themselves in half ? :geek: :evil: :ugeek:
Left guild because I joined light Rp guild and not what I class as as heavy RP guild . Cant be doing with OP and flashpoints IC sorry.
Plus I was sure it was called The Kestrel Minority and not JenDoons Ego.
SonnyCorle
Ex-member

Post by SonnyCorle »

Plus Obi-Wan and Qui'Gon don't die in the traditional sense. Don't they become immortal within the netherworld of the force....? Or something along those lines.

I think because light sabers are wielded like swords, (hilts etc) people consider them to be "laser blades". But I just think they are something else, other than an extremely hot "laser". Even though they do cauterize wounds and can melt solid metal.

I'm confused :?:
Republic Military Classified File: Sergeant Snowbourne

"We must fight—to victory, or death—for the Republic!"
Velorius
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Tharan Elataar

Post by Velorius »

My understanding (and I am by no means an expert) is that a lightsaber is a beam of plasma circulating inside a containment field, so you have a kind of current flowing, with plasma flowing out in the center of the beam, till it hits the end of the containment field then flowing back towards the hilt along the outer part of the blade and the process repeats. While the plasma is extremely hot it's heat is completely contained by the saber, if the containment field ever broke the circuit would short and the lightsaber would sputter out.

The 'heat' from the blade is actually created by the intense electromagnetic field generated by the circulating plasma. The burns caused by the saber are more like electrical burns, the kind you'd get from touching power lines. I'm sure you've all seen those old electric heaters, with the iron bars wrapped in wire, when they switch on the current passing through heats up the bar. It's a similar effect when the lightsaber hits an object, the intense electromagnetic field induces a current which in turn generates heat. The same electromagnetic field is the reason sabers repel one another and why the charged energy from a blaster is deflected.

Sadly I don't remember where I picked up the concept that the cycling plasma generates an electromagnetic field, so I can't honestly say if it is cannon or not. But it does make sense and explains most of the sabers properties.

As for the actual thread question, it's like Doon said, the heat is only generated while the saber is in contact with something dense enough to offer resistance to a current. The reason only the immediate area is burned is that the heat doesn't transfer fast enough, the part in contact with the saber burns, but then it's gone, so no resistance and the current no longer generates heat. Maybe think of it as cutting steel with a blow torch, the whole sheet of metal doesn't heat up at the same rate, just the area under the flame?
I suppose if you stuck the saber against something highly flammable, like starship fuel or something, it'd burst into flame easily enough?

Finally I'm reminded of a line I heard once.
"When it comes to sci-fi technology, never poke the plot holes; you never know when one'll collapse into a blackhole and take the whole franchise with them"
I think it was originally in relation to something about star trek, but it seems to apply here. Sometimes you have to overlook impracticalities in sci-fi tech and just go with it and the cannon seems to be that clothe,. etc. don't burst into flame... Unless it's doused in oil, or would make a for an impressive scene
A wise man speaks because he has something to say;
A fool speaks because he has to say something.
Friesian
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Xru

Post by Friesian »

:mrgreen: If lightsaber cuts, it can shortcut what it cuts, fire. Now can a lightsaber cut fire?
Exerxes

Post by Exerxes »

The little wooden tapers I use for my Wood Burning Stove can certainly 'cut' fire. It just comes back again, damn those ethereal flames!

Ex
"Jedi refer to the ‘light side’ and the ‘dark side’, but really, these are only words, and the Force is beyond words. It is not evil, just as it isn’t good-it's simply what it is."

Yakusoku
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Yaku, Jibeley

Post by Yakusoku »

I actually went and nerdered out on wookiepedia.
So heres the lightsaber info on there.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber

And a section which relates to this thread.

"A lightsaber blade was a mass-less form that neither radiated heat nor expended energy until it came into contact with something solid. The power of the energy blade was so great that it could cut through almost anything, although the speed through which it cut depended on the density of the subject. One important note about lightsaber wounds is that they rarely bled profusely, even when a limb had been severed. This is because the energy blade cauterized the wound as it passed, and thus even a severe wound did not tend to bleed heavily.

When cutting through dense material, the immense electromagnetic field generated by the arc caused resistance rather than letting solid matter enter and interrupt the arc. This gave the blade a feeling of being solid when immersed in dense material. Rarely, some solid materials could actually pass through the electromagnetic field and short out the arc. Other electromagnetic energy fields and coherent energy were also repelled by lightsabers' arcs. These include most force fields, blaster bolts, and other lightsaber blades. "
Rimmer : Step up to Red Alert!
Kryten : Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, The lovers, the dreamers and me.
.Kermit de frog.
pata
Old-timer

Post by pata »

The biggest mystery in star wars universe, why smugglers have no light knifes. It would be very effective to open doors.
Xoana (shadow)
Mortel (scoundrel)
Sennera (sage)
Grao-tak/Grao (gunslinger/vanguard)
Botond (guardian)
Lirian (commando)
Jázmin (sentinel)