Guild Nights

Forum for general discussion about everything SWTOR.
SethAltair
Roleplay Officer
SWTOR Characters: Adalquinn Endris

Re: Guild Nights

Post by SethAltair »

I know nothing of pvp and have never been one to do complicated calculations about stats and other but I am eager to try it. I was just wondering what is it people actually dislike it pvp? Is it stressful or something?
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

SethAltair wrote:I know nothing of pvp and have never been one to do complicated calculations about stats and other but I am eager to try it. I was just wondering what is it people actually dislike it pvp? Is it stressful or something?
Alot of roleplayers get mocked by hard core PvP'ers because usually, roleplayers don't take the time to learn how to PvP to a high skill level.

That won't be the case in TKM. If you want to PvP well, I and others will help you learn.

and ye will know us by the trail of the dead...
Filious
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Filious

Post by Filious »

i'd like to try pvp, but it may be a little while till i do, i'm still rather lost when it comes to swtor and skills and rotations... i think my brain is still trying to put everything in terms of WoW and it's not liking all this new stuff :)
Helping a Jedi leads to no profit, so how is it I always end up helping...
BadJawa
Ex-member

Post by BadJawa »

Wotcha everyone,

Hmm. Good question, SethAltair.

I think each person's views on PvP are their own, however I'm willing to state how *I* feel about PvP.

I much prefer PvE, because that for me is where the fun is. It's where the story is, regardless of the game. It's also about playing at my own speed, my own pace, and if I need to run off and do something for a few minutes in the real world (such as make a lovely cup of tea) then there's rarely an issue.

In PvP, the first difference is deciding to do nothing else for 15 minutes or so. No choices, no running off for a lovely cup of tea. You're in for the duration.

Then there's the fact that all of your opponents are no longer the passive, rather confused npc mobs that will usually wait for you to come to them; these will come to you. And they'll come in a gang.

Next, there's the fact that PvP doesn't seem to play fair. There are a lot of horror stories out there, many of which revolve around unkillable, invincible PvPers. Well, some of it is true; spend long enough PvPing and you'll be better at it than someone who's never done it before. Just as learning to drive means you'll be better at it than someone who's seen cars, but never been in one.

There is also the dying. You'll probably die more in a PvP warzone than you would in a particularly nasty raid instance, and understanding that, and living with it, is part of being a PvPer. Don't take it personally; strangely enough, PvPers tend to be more welcoming than most Warcraft PUGs, even if they are pounding your face in the dirt.

PvP is more fun in a gang than solo. Which is in the nature of MMOs. Most things are fun in a group, that would be less fun solo. No-one in the group is going to be laughing at you; more with you, if you choose to.

To anyone unsure, just remember that it's just another way of having fun. But it's not for everyone, so if you don't enjoy it, don't do it. I only tend to PvP as part of a guild group, because that's how I find it fun. I don't duel because I'm rubbish at it, but I'm really looking forward to trying out, and being part of a team for, Huttball.

Speedball with Lightsabers; what's not to like?

Cheers,
Hawley.
Subtlety is for other people.
pata
Old-timer

Post by pata »

I like PvP because a human controlled enemy is much more adaptive, than a pre-programmed software. You can see (if your opponent is good) the change of his style during a combat. It is a mental challenge if the two character's power near to each other and the game's class balance is good. You always have to rethink your strategy.

It is much fun for me. My best and the worse experience are both from a battlefields. I like PvE, but it is more calculable than PvP, so there is less surprise. Of course a surprise can be good or bad.
Xoana (shadow)
Mortel (scoundrel)
Sennera (sage)
Grao-tak/Grao (gunslinger/vanguard)
Botond (guardian)
Lirian (commando)
Jázmin (sentinel)
Jens Jutoon
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Jens Jutoon (JJ)

Post by Jens Jutoon »

BadJawa wrote:
I much prefer PvE, because that for me is where the fun is. It's where the story is, regardless of the game. It's also about playing at my own speed, my own pace, and if I need to run off and do something for a few minutes in the real world (such as make a lovely cup of tea) then there's rarely an issue.

In PvP, the first difference is deciding to do nothing else for 15 minutes or so. No choices, no running off for a lovely cup of tea. You're in for the duration.

Then there's the fact that all of your opponents are no longer the passive, rather confused npc mobs that will usually wait for you to come to them; these will come to you. And they'll come in a gang.

Next, there's the fact that PvP doesn't seem to play fair. There are a lot of horror stories out there, many of which revolve around unkillable, invincible PvPers. Well, some of it is true; spend long enough PvPing and you'll be better at it than someone who's never done it before. Just as learning to drive means you'll be better at it than someone who's seen cars, but never been in one.

There is also the dying. You'll probably die more in a PvP warzone than you would in a particularly nasty raid instance, and understanding that, and living with it, is part of being a PvPer. Don't take it personally; strangely enough, PvPers tend to be more welcoming than most Warcraft PUGs, even if they are pounding your face in the dirt.
That more or less sums up my veiw on PVP, cheers BJ.

I'm really a PVE guy at heart, and love to solo a lot of the time. Jumping in groups when I know I have the time and I'm not going to have to go afk or quit at any time. I'm an explorer and adventurer. I take my time to level and I'm usually way behind everyone else. That's just me and PVP just doesn't suit me at all. I also don't like to be pwned by leet smackhead uber kids! :ugeek:

Jens Jutoon - Gunslinger
Jen'ju - Jedi Knight
sudo
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Stanley

Post by sudo »

Really love the general idea behind the whole thing and especially the times.
It will be a great experience to finally be a part of a roleplaying guild that hosts events in normal European hours!

I have a question, though. Do we plan to do most of those in character? If not, which ones? I am hoping to try some group based quests and flashpoints with guildmates while in character, think this might end up as an epic experience in such a story-driven game like tor.

Moreoever, BadJawa, I don't think that people who are NOT living in GMT timezone would prefer you to start the events later, since most of us live in either GMT+1, GMT+2 or GMT+3. Meaning that event that ends at 22:30 GMT will end at 00:30 for somebody living in a GMT +2 timezone, which will probably be perfectly allright with most of the guildies. I do believe that starting most of those even later, will be problematic for people living in GMT +2 and GMT +3 timezones, though (I've seen that we have some members from Russia and whatnot). If anything, you might consider running some of those earlier sometimes, for people who need to get up early ;)

Cheers
pata
Old-timer

Post by pata »

We have a Russian member too. He is at least in UTC+4.
Xoana (shadow)
Mortel (scoundrel)
Sennera (sage)
Grao-tak/Grao (gunslinger/vanguard)
Botond (guardian)
Lirian (commando)
Jázmin (sentinel)
Amtath
Ex-member
SWTOR Characters: Shraun Amtath

Post by Amtath »

For Flashpoints and PVP, I don't the starting time and ending time is important as they can only be done by groups of four. Operations will put constraint on that as they are up to 16 players.

I think PVP & Flashpoints can also be done outside those time frames and that's not the final schedule, it will be tweaked when we have some gaming time behind us.

I don't think those events will be In Characters except if we decide to make a canon run of the flashpoints & operations.
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training"
Shraun Amtath - Jedi Knight
"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price."
JenDoon
Ex-member

Post by JenDoon »

I have a question, though. Do we plan to do most of those in character? If not, which ones? I am hoping to try some group based quests and flashpoints with guildmates while in character, think this might end up as an epic experience in such a story-driven game like tor.
We're going to have an events forum where people can sign up to lead events like flashpoints. One of the things they will advertise is whether or not it's an in character run. Sometimes people want to rush through such things to catch up with the guild etc.

I'd hope most TKM runs are IC, even just to a basic level. I know any flashpoints I run will be fully IC, but not so much we stop before each fight to talk it over.